Last updated on May 23rd, 2019
Baby corn starter recipes are very popular in Indian restaurants. There are many delicious starter recipes with baby corn like crispy chili baby corn, baby corn manchurian , baby corn 65. This fried baby corn is one easy recipe among them.
What is baby corn fry?
Baby corn fry is an easy starter or snack recipe made with baby corns. Chopped baby corns are marinated with yogurt, spice powders and some corn flour. We then fry the baby corns until crispy and golden. Furthermore the fried baby corns are garnished with kasuri methi.
While most of the recipes call for deep frying the baby corns, I have shallow fried them here. You can also easily shallow fry them but make sure to do it in low flame.
It is a very dry and crispy starter without any sauces. Unlike manchurian recipes it is not even a bit soggy. You can make this baby corn fry to even pack in kids snack box. As we are using rice flour it remains crispy for a long time.
You can make baby corn fry recipe in many ways by varying the seasonings. Please find below few such combinations.
Variations with baby corn golden fry recipe:
- If you are planning to make this for starter,add some amchur powder,pepper powder and garam masala in the marinade. Avoid asafoetida.
- Another choice is,grind ginger-garlic-cilantro into a coarse paste and add to the marinade.
- You can deep fry the marinated baby corns if you prefer.
While this is a very easy recipe to make there are few tips and tricks to make best baby corn fry that tastes very nice and crispy. Make sure to select tender and fresh baby corns for this recipe. Use fresh curd for marinade.
You can serve baby corn golden fry as starter with lemon wedges or as side dish in dinner along with fried rice, pulao or even dal fry.
You might also like to check out our side dish recipes collection.
Baby Corn Fry recipe:
Baby Corn Fry Recipe | Baby Corn Golden Fry
- 15 baby corns fresh and tender
- 3 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 tablespoons oil for shallow frying
- Kasuri methi optional
- Peel and remove the strings from baby corn.Chop them into bite size round pieces.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add a pinch of salt to it.Add the chopped baby corns and par boil for 5-7 minutes.Drain and set aside.
- Take all the ingredients from curd through salt in a mixing bowl and mix well.Make into a thick lump free batter
- Add the baby corn pieces and toss well to coat evenly.Marinate for 30-40 minutes.
- Heat some oil in shallow frying pan and add the marinated baby corn pieces.Roast in low flame until it is golden from all sides,tossing gently once in a while.
- Remove the baby corns to a kitchen towel and add crushed kasuri methi.Serve hot.