Last updated on July 14th, 2019
Besanwali bhindi is a simple dry curry with okra. This is a very simple yet tasty one that even okra haters will come back for more.
Okra or bhindi is a very widely vegetable in Indian cuisine. There are so many recipes with okra we make okra poriyal, bhindi masala, kurkuri bhindi , aloo bhindi, bhindi fry, dahi bhindi and many more.
This Rajasthan style okra with gram flour is one more favorite from the list. This dry okra curry tastes wonderful with both rice and roti. You can also make this very crispy by sauteing for more time and serve as starter.
I first tasted this dish in a Rajasthani buffet and loved it very much. Then I got this recipe from a cook book and I have been making it ever since. It required just a few ingredients, no grind recipe that takes very less time.
If you want to include more okra in kids diet, this will be your best bet. A very flavorful and tasty okra curry with minimal slime.
This Besan Bhindi Recipe Is
Delicious & Flavorful
Quick & Easy
Simple no grind recipe
Vegan & gluten free
Besan wali bhindi is a dry okra curry with gram flour or besan as main ingredient. It is a no onion, garlic and tomato recipe so you don’t have to do much chopping.
Chopped okra is first sauteed with spice powders and finally we add gram flour and saute till it is well cooked and okra turns crispy.
In some recipes besan or gram flour is first sauteed well and finally added to the cooked okra. I do not prefer this method as it takes more time.
To make besan bhindi first of all rinse and pat dry the okra thoroughly. Cut them into big pieces as seen in the photo. Cutting into big pieces helps in reducing the okra slime.
Next heat a pan with 3 tablespoons oil. Temper with mustards, cumin seeds. Add the spice powders and saute well. Add chopped okra and mix well. Next you add the gram flour and mix well. Saute in low flame till gram flour is well cooked and okra turns crispy.
You can serve rajasthani besan bhindi with dal fry, phulka and also plain paratha.
Can I use any other flour instead of gram flour?
Yes, you can try this recipe with rice flour but the flavor and taste is unique when made with gram flour or chickpea flour.
Can we use any other vegetable instead of okra?
Yes, you can make this recipe with bell pepper, potatoes also.
How to make besan bhindi in oven?
Preheat your oven at 200 C or 400 F. Grease a large baking sheet well.
Combine gram flour, salt, chili powder and turmeric powder in a bowl. Add 2q!~Qa
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this besan bhindi recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Besan Bhindi Recipe
Besan Bhindi Recipe | Besan Wali Bhindi Recipe
- 300 grams okra fresh and tender
- 3 tablespoons gram flour besan OR chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and pat dry the okra thoroughly. Chop into 1″ vertical pieces.
- Heat a kadai and add 2-3 teaspoons oil.Once hot temper with mustard,urad and asafoetida. Add curry leaves,turmeric powder,chilli powder and saute well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped okra and just spread well.Mix just once to coat the spice powders.Let it cook in low flame for 20 minutes.
- By now it would have cooked to some extent now add salt and mix once again and cook for 10 minutes.
- Now add the gram flour and mix gently.Cook till the rawness of gram flour goes off and it is absorbed by okra and turns crisp
- Serve hot with rice and kuzhambu.