Last updated on March 28th, 2019
This bread upma recipe is the perfect breakfast you can make in 15 minutes. Upma is a very popular south Indian breakfast. Got some stale slices of bread lying around? Turn them into delicious upma with veggies for a yummy and hearty breakfast. Here is how to make bread upma at home!
What Is Bread Upma?
Cubed bread slices are sauteed with veggies in a typical south Indian mustard curry leaves tempering in this recipe. While veggies are optional I always recommend you add them.
Along with vegetables I usually add a small portion of protein like paneer cubes or boiled chickpeas. You can also add mushrooms, eggs, peanuts in this recipe.
I make this bread upma very often and over the years it has become our favorites. Whenever I am in short of time and need to put breakfast on the table in minutes, this upma comes to my rescue. Not only easy to make, this is a very delicious and hearty dish that we love.
Although south Indian, this bread upma is popular and favorite across the country. You will find this quick bread snack in almost all office and college canteens.
How To Make Bread Upma?
To make this recipe at home you can use any kind of bread though white bread tastes best in upma. Use stale bread or 2 days old bread if you prefer your upma non mushy.
Along with veggies I have added few paneer cubes as I do in masala pasta. Instead of paneer you can add boiled egg, mushrooms, tofu also.
I have chopped off the edges of the bread to make it less chewy. If you want crispy bread slices you can keep the edges. You can also use pav, baguette, garlic loaf in this recipe.
To begin with, heat oil in a pan and temper with mustard seeds, cumin, minced ginger and green chilies. Saute chopped onions, followed by veggies. Saute till veggies turn soft. Season with salt, turmeric powder and chili powder.
Add the cubed bread slices and saute for 6-8 minutes. Finish with chopped coriander leaves and fresh lemon juice. Mix well and serve. You can serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and top with sev. Serve with ginger tea, masala tea or coffee.
Apart from serving as breakfast, you can pack this bread upma in toddlers and kids snack box also.
So do try out this bread upma that is
so easy to make
hearty and yummy
perfect for breakfast or snack
Top Tips To Remember
I have added paneer cubes to make this upma tastier. To make this recipe vegan you can leave out paneer or add tofu cubes or boiled chickpeas.
You can make this recipe with ghee to enhance the flavor.
If vegetables are not handy, just use onion and green chilies.
You can double or triple the recipe.
Store any left over in refrigerator and use with two days. You can gently reheat in 2 teaspoons oil.
More bread recipes you might like
How To Make Bread Upma Step by Step
Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, crushed ginger and green chilies. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
Next add finely chopped onions and saute till the color changes slightly.
Now add the chopped veggies and saute for 3-4 minutes. Saute well for 2-3 minutes.
Add salt, turmeric powder and mix well.
Add 1/8 cup water. Cook the veggies for 5 minutes.
Add the cubed bread and mix well. Cook in low flame for 4-5 minutes.
Once the bread pieces are cooked, remove from flame. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice. Serve bread upma hot.
Bread Upma Recipe
- 6-7 bread slices torn into bite size pieces
- 1 small carrot peeled and chopped fine
- 2-3 baby corns finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 2 green chillies slit
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons oil
- Tear the bread into bite size pieces.
- Chop the vegetables and onion
- Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai and add cumin seeds,let it crackle.
- Add the crushed ginger and slit green chillies.Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till it turns translucent.
- Add the chopped veggies and saute well.
- Add salt,turmeric powder and mix well.Add 1/8 cup water and cook the veggies.
- Add the bread pieces and toss well
- Remove from flame,add lemon juice and serve bread upma hot.
1. You can add spice powders like garam masala,pav bhaji masala etc in this bread upma recipe.
2. Do not add more water for cooing veggies.
3. Do not add water after adding the bread.
4. You can add 1/2 teaspoon sugar along with salt.