Last updated on August 9th, 2018
Carrot halwa or gajar halwa recipe with step by step photos. Gajar ka halwa also known gajrela is a traditional Indian sweet prepared winter carrots also known an Delhi carrot. Gajar ka halwa is made for festivals, celebrations and parties mostly.
The traditional way of making delicious carrot halwa takes time. Grated carrots should be slow cooked in milk for long time. Here I am sharing the recipe for easy carrot halwa using condensed milk that you can make in 15 minutes.
Gajar halwa is made often during winters. It is partly because winter is the season for special red carrots also known as Delhi carrot. Though I make carrot halwa at home for special occasions using regular , I like to make gajar halwa with Delhi carrots for the deep color.
Carrot halwa is a classic Indian sweet that every one likes. There are many ways to make tasty gajar halwa. As I said above the traditional gajar halwa is slow cooked in milk. Adding condensed milk is an easy way to make carrot halwa. You can make carrot halwa in pressure cooker. For added richness unsweetened khoya can be added to gajar halwa recipe. I am sharing the notes for these variations in carrot halwa recipe card below,please check it out!
Gajar ka halwa is a north Indian dessert. In north Indian homes gajar halwa is made during winters when delhi gajar is in season. Here I have used organic Delhi carrots to make halwa. Select carrots that are fresh and tender. Tender carrots melt in mouth when cooked and yield soft halwa. You can also make rich carrot kheer, carrot curry, carrot falafel, carrot chutney, carrot kalakand, carrot soup with red Deli carrots.
To make carrot halwa I suggest you grate the carrots by hand. Using food processor may not result in grainy carrot halwa. The texture of this halwa should be grainy. The traditional recipe is to use full fat milk, grated carrots and sugar to make halwa. Here we are adding condensed milk to speed up the cooking. Use a real thick bottomed pan or kadai to make halwa.
Carrot halwa tastes best when served warm. You can also serve warm gajar halwa with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can store carrot halwa for 2-3 days in refrigerator.
Carrot halwa recipe with condensed milk details below:
Carrot Halwa recipe | Gajar halwa recipe | North Indian gajar ka halwa
- 2 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1/4 can or 100 grams sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup milk boiled
- 1/4 cup broken cashew almond and raisiins.
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Few saffron strands
- Wash peel and grate the carrots.
- Heat a thick pan and add ghee to it. Add the nuts and raisins to the ghee and fry till they turn golden. Remove the nuts from the pan and let the ghee remain in the pan itself.
- Now add the grated carrots to the ghee and saute for few minutes.
- Add boiled milk and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the condensed milk and stir very well.
- Cook in low flame for 10-12 minutes until all the condensed milk dries up.
- Add the nuts,mix well and serve carrot halwa hot or chilled
2. You can add grated nutmeg along with cardamom
How to make carrot halwa recipe
1. Wash,peel and grate the carrots. Measure 2 1/2 cups and set aside.
2. heat a heavy kadai/non stick kadai and add 3 tablespoons ghee to it. Once the ghee is hot add the chopped cashews,almonds and raisins and fry well. Remove them and set aside. Let the ghee remain in the pan.
3. in the same pan add the grated carrots and saute well for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add 1/4 cup milk and cook the carrots for 5-7 minutes.
5. Add the sweetened condensed milk and mix well.
6. Mix well,keep stirring and cook till the carrot is completely cooked and comes together and dries,it may take anywhere around 10-12 minutes
7. Add cardamom powder,crushed saffron and fried nuts. Mix well,remove from flame and serve carrot halwa hot or even you can serve it chilled.