Last updated on February 22nd, 2019
Chilli bread recipe is a easy to make tasty snack with stale bread slices. Chilli bread recipe is one of those chilli ” something” recipes that you often find in menus of most restaurants or fast food joints. That something could be chilli parotta,idly,bread,gobi etc.I love all these fusion recipes and I have eaten chilli parotta numerous times in saravana bhavan,but these days I am trying to restrict myself from these dishes in restaurants as I find these are loaded with artificial flavors and colors. (growing older and wiser hehe 🙂 ). Of all these chilli recipes making chilli bread at home is most easy as we don’t have to prepare anything before hand as opposed to parotta or idly. This recipe I am blogging here has no artificial colors,or bottled sauce or excessive masala but you will be amazed by the taste and flavor of this dish with very humble ingredients once you prepare. Instead of tomato sauce I have used fresh tomato puree with salt and sugar,absolutely tasty,flavorful and nothing artificial here.In most places,they deep fry the bread slices for chilli bread but here I have toasted the bread slices with no loss in taste. Same way I have used different colored bell peppers here,you can use any bell pepper of your choice or you can leave it out too. This chilli bread recipe makes for a scrumptious snack or even light lunch when you add veggies like I have did here.I have added baby corns here just for extra taste and flavor.Here is a pictorial for chilli bread recipe
First toast the bread slices until golden and crispy.Chop them into bite size squares.
While the bread is getting ready slice onions,puree one large tomato,cube the bell peppers and slice the baby corn.
Heat a kadai and add 3 teaspoons oil.Add crushed ginger-garlic and saute for few minutes.Add sliced onions and slit green chillies. Saute till the onions turn golden.
Add the tomato puree,sugar and a pinch of salt.Saute for 2-3 minutes.Add the chopped bell peppers,baby corns and saute in high flame for 3 minutes.Adjust salt and add chilli powder. Mix well
Add the chopped bread slices and give a quick stir.
Add lemon juice,mix well and serve hot.
More bread recipes you might enjoy:
Bread dosai-A very tasty instant breakfast
Chilli bread recipe card below:
Chilli bread recipe,how to make chilli bread | Easy bread recipes
- 6 bread slices
- 1/2 cup cubed bell peppers any color
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 to mato
- 1 baby corn sliced (optional)
- 2 green chillies slit or chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed ginger-garlic or ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Toast the bread slices until crisp and chop them into squares.Puree the tomato.Cube the bell peppers and chop the baby corn.
- Heat a pan and add 2 teaspoons oil.Once the oil is hot,add crushed ginger garlic and saute for 2 minutes
- Add the sliced onions and saute for 2-3 minutes.Add the tomato puree,sugar and a pinch of salt,Saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the veggies,adjust salt and add chilli powder.Saute in high flame for 2-3 minutes so that veggies don't loose their crunch yet get cooked
- Now add the chopped bread pieces and give a quick sir,mix well.
- Remove rom flame,add lemon juice and serve immedietly
You can use any kind of bread and deep fry them too if you need.
If you want to save time you can add 2 teaspoons tomato sauce instead of tomato puree.