Last updated on December 15th, 2017
Chocolate sandesh recipe is a chocolatey twist to the very famous Bengali sweet sandesh. As most of you must be knowing West Bengal is very popular for its delicious array of sweets always reffred as Bengali sweets,these are mostly sweets prepared from fresh chenna (Paneer). Rasgulla,rasmalai,sandesh,chum chum are a few to name. I love rasgulla and often prepare it at home,I have seen sandesh in sweet shops but I never bought them,last week I saw this recipe for chocolate sandesh in a magazine.,it was actually a stuffed sandesh,but I just took the chocolate part and made chocolate sandesh. Chocolate sandesh is a very easy sweet to prepare at home. You need only 20 minutes to make this delicious sweet. The main ingredient for this sweet chenna or fresh paneer. I think this may also work with store bought paneer,but you may need to crumble the paneer very well before making sandesh.
Check out entire collection of Diwali sweets and snacks here
How to make chocolate sandesh-step by step
Preparation of chenna
1. Take milk in a deep vessel and bring to a boil. Once the milk is about to boil add lemon juice and stir continuously till the milk curdles. Once the milk is completely curdled and starts leaving out water (whey),strain the way using a clean cloth. Now gently squeeze the cloth to remove all the whey. Place a heavy plank over the strained chenna and let is rest for 1 hour.
2.After an hour,take the chenna and crumble it completely. There should be no big particles.
Preparation of sandesh
1. Take the crumbled chenna in a mixing bowl and add cocoa powder and sugar to it.
2. Mix well with your fingers and start kneading. Do not add any water /milk. Just knead well and combine. The dough will be very soft and sticky.
3. Heat a non stick pan and add the mixed dough. Start cooking in low flame,keep stirring till the mixture leaves out moisture and comes together.
4.Allow the mixture to cool.
5. Once it is cooled,make 15-18 equal sized balls from the dough.
6. Flatten it slightly with your palms and you can decorate it with almond slivers or leave as such.
7. Serve chocolate sandesh at room temperature.