Last updated on July 18th, 2019
Cornflakes mixture recipe- crispy, crunchy and addictive Indian snack recipe with cornflakes and fried nuts. You can make this cornflakes mixture for snacks in no time to serve with evening tea. This cornflakes chivda is more crispy, flavorful and way less oily than store bought ones. Here is how to make best cornflakes mixture at home.
Cornflakes mixture recipe with step by step pictures. Cornflakes chivda is an easy Indian snack made with deep fried crunchy cornflakes. Traditionally cornflakes mixture is made with big yellow corn flakes or makai flakes. Here I have used regular cornflakes used for breakfast.
Cornflakes mixture is also known as cornflakes chivda. Chivda is the word for sweet and spicy mixture with various edible ingredients like rice flakes, cornflakes, sago and dry fruits, nuts etc. Usually north Indian chivda is sweet and spicy whereas south Indian mixture is spicy.
Mixture recipes are prepared for diwali in India. Traditionally we make madras mixture or Bombay mixture for Diwali. This cornflakes mixture is a quick alternate that we can make within 20 minutes. Some other quick mixture recipes you can make for diwali are oats mixture, poha mixture, potato mixture, sago mixture recipes.
Making cornflakes mixture is very easy and we need very few ingredients. Here I am sharing south Indian style cornflakes mixture that is spicy. You can easily adjust the seasoning and make this mixture sweet and spicy too.
You can serve cornflakes mixture with coffee or tea. This is also a good side dish we like with variety rice recipes like lemon rice, coconut rice, mango rice too.
This cornflakes chivda keeps well for 2 weeks at room temperature.
This Cornflakes Mixture Recipe Is
Crispy, tasty & clean
Tastes way better than store bought mixture
Vegan & can be made gluten free
Easy homemade snacks for festivals & evening snacks
Which Variety Of Cornflakes Is Good For Mixture?
To make cornflakes mixture use dried yellow corn flakes if available. This type of corn flakes is available in Indian supermarkets and grocery stores. They are more thick and holds up deep frying well.
I have used instant corn flakes as my friend had given me a pack and I wanted to use it up. Corn flakes cereals are very thin and delicate and crumble very easily.
How To Make Cornflakes Mixture
1. Heat oil for Deep frying.Once the oil is hot,keep the flame in medium and deep fry cornflakes till golden. Do this in batches and remove it to a plate lined with absorbent sheet.
2. Now fry broken cashews and peanuts till golden and add to the fried cornflakes.
3. In a small pan heat 2 teaspoons oil and add asafoetida,chilli powder and curry leaves. Once the curry leaves turn crispy,add the seasoning to the fried cornflakes mixture,add salt and mix very well.
4.Let the mixture cool thoroughly,store cornflakes mixture in an airtight box.
Can I Make Corn Flakes Mixture Without Deep Frying?
If you prefer to make cornflakes mixture with less oil, you can either bake or shallow fry them.
Shallow frying method.
To shallow fry cornflakes mixture you need just 3 tablespoons oil. But you will have to do entire shallow frying in low flame and it will take some time.
Just heat the oil and shallow fry the cornflakes in low flame until crispy. Also shallow fry the other ingredients in the same oil. Make the tempering and mix everything well.
Baked Cornflakes Mixture
Preheat your oven at 180 C or 350 F.
Grease a big baking sheet well. Add 2 teaspoons oil, salt, chili powder, asafoetida in a bowl. Add all the other ingredients to this seasoning and spread in the baking sheet as single layer.
Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. Gently spread the mixture after 10 minutes and bake again till crispy.
Cornflakes mixture keeps good for a week when stored in airtight containers. Serve with tea or coffee. This mixture is also served as side dish in a big meal.
More Diwali Snack Recipes
I hope you will try this recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Cornflakes Mixture Recipe
Cornflakes mixture recipe | Easy diwali snacks
- 2 cups cornflakes
- 1/4 cup broken cashews
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoettida
- 15-20 curry leaves
- Oil for deep frying
- Oil for tempering
- Heat oil for Deep frying.Once the oil is hot,keep the flame in medium and deep fry cornflakes till golden. Do this in batches and remove it to a plate lined with absorbent sheet.
- Now fry broken cashews and peanuts till golden and add to the fried cornflakes.
- n a small pan heat 2 teaspoons oil and add asafoetida,chilli powder and curry leaves. Once the curry leaves turn crispy,add the seasoning to the fried cornflakes mixture,add salt and mix very well.
- Let the mixture cool thoroughly,store cornflakes mixture in an airtight box.