Last updated on May 26th, 2019
Flaky cheddar cheese scones that are so flavorful and delicious. These cheese scones are such welcome change to the regular sweet scones and tastes delicious for breakfast or snack. You can play with the herbs and spices here and make your favorite! Here is how to make to easy cheddar cheese scones at home.
I made cheese scones and they were a hit 🙂 I mean who will say no to a perfectly flaky scone with flavorful cheddar and herbs? Served warm right out of the oven with a slathering of butter or some sour cream, these cheese scones will be an instant hot at your home too 🙂
What Are Scones?
A scone is a classic English tea time snack made with flour and leavening agents. You can make a traditional scone that mildly sweetened with a fruit or savory scones with cheese as seen here. Usually scones are served with butter or clotted cream or jam with tea.
I made these cheese scones inspired by a recipe for apple cheddar scones from baking book. I wanted to make savory snack, so I completely modified the recipe and came with this one.
These scones are loaded with cheddar cheese, seasoned with chili flakes and mixed herbs. I have leavened the scones with baking powder and instead of egg wash I have used milk wash.
Serve scones warm or at room temperature with tea,
How To Make Cheese Scones?
To make cheese scones begin with mixing flour, salt and baking powder. Cut chilled butter into small cubes and rub into the flour mixture. Work with your finger tips and rub until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. To this add cheese, herbs and mix well.Add curd and make a very soft dough.
Plop the dough into a greased pizza plate or baking tray. Spread as a thick circle with greased palm. Score into 8 wedges with a sharp knife. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes. Serve warm or hot.
You might also like
Cheddar Cheese Scones Recipe
Cheddar Cheese Scone Recipe
- 1 cup plain flour or wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 100 grams unsalted butter chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons mixed dried herbs
- 1/2 cup curd plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes or pepper powder
- In a large mixing bowl sift all purpose flour along with salt and baking powder.
- Cut the chilled butter into small cubes and add to the flour mix. Mix the butter with flour using your finger tips.Continue till the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add grated cheese,herbs,salt,sugar and chilli flakes.Mix well.
- Now slowly add the whisked curd and bring the dough together.The dough wil be very soft.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Grease and dust a baking sheet/pizza plate.Spread the dough into a thick circle slowly with your hands.Apply oil to the hands for spreading easily.
- Score the dough into 8 equal portions.Bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes,the crust will be light brown.
- Serve warm after allowing to rest for 5 minutes.