Last updated on August 9th, 2018
Paneer stuffed masala buns recipe with step wise pictures,sharing an easy recipe for iyengar bakery style masala buns with whole wheat and paneer stuffing.
we love whole wheat savory buns a lot and I often bake them for dinner or snacks. Every time I bake a bun I try to tweak the recipe a bit to get a new taste and flavor. Paneer stuffed masala buns were in my mind for long time and I tried them few days back. These are whole wheat buns with south Indian style panner masala stuffing,spongy and soft buns with light airy texture with spicy and flavorful paneer masala stuffing is something you definitely should not miss.
Here I used my pizza base for dough, I just used wheat flour and left out maida completely.The stuffing is purely up to your taste and preference, you can go for panner masala stuffing as I did or use any spicy vegetable masala or you can even make khara buns with out any stuffing. I got the idea of paneer stuffed masala buns recipe when I saw panner bread rolls in our nearby bakery, though I did not taste it there I sure knew soft buns stuffed with spicy paneer masala will sure be a hit. I have used used crumbled paneer along with fresh methi leaves in this recipe and it was such a delightful combination with fresh flavors.
All the spices that go in to the making of paneer stuffed masala buns are basic pantry staples. You just need turmeric powder,garam masala powder,ginger and green chillies to make this along with paneer and methi leaves. In the absence of methi leaves you can use finely chopped spinach,mint leaves or cilantro leaves. I have glazed the shaped buns with milk and topped with sesame seeds and that is optional. Do try this easy recipe for making paneer stuffed masala buns and enjoy a hearty dinner/snack time 🙂
step by step paneer stuffed masala buns recipe:
1. Take luke warm water in a bowl and dissolve sugar. Then sprinkle the dried yeast over it and keep undisturbed for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
2. Take the wheat flour,oil and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the frothy yeast water to it and mix well with a wooden spoon.
3. Now slowly add the remaining 3/4 cup water and bring the dough together. Knead well to form a soft and smooth dough. Let the dough rest for 90 minutes or more. The dough should double by volume then.
How to make paneer masala for stuffing.
1. Heat a kadai and add 3 teaspoons oil to it. Temper with cumin seeds,grated ginger,green chillies.
2. Add cleaned methi leaves,turmeric powder,garam masala and salt. Saute for 4-5 minutes.
3. Add crumbled paneer and mix well, saute for 3-4 minutes. Add lemon juice and remove from flame. Let cool till we shape the buns.
How to make paneer stuffed masala buns:
1. Take the raised dough and punch it back. Make 9-10 equal sized balls.
2. Take one ball and roll it slightly. Keep 2 teaspoons of prepared filling and bring the edges toward the center and seal. Now roll into a smooth bun. Repeat the same with all the 9 buns.
3. Arrange the stuffed buns on a baking tray.Give a milk wash and sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds.
3. Preheat oven to 200C. Let the buns rest and raise a bit more while the oven is preheating.
4. Bake the buns in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, til the top slightly changes in color. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving paneer stuffed masala buns.
paneer stuffed masala bun recipe below:
Paneer stuffed masala bun recipe | masala bun iyengar bakery style
- For the dough:
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups luke warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- 1/8 cup toasted sesame seeds
- For paneer masala stuffing:
- 1 cup crumbled paneer
- 3/4 cup finely chopped methi leaves
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- to make dough:
- Take 1/2 cup luke warm water and add sugar to it.
- Once the sugar is dissolved add yeast to it and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Take the wheat flour,salt and oil ina mixing bowl. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Add the remaining water and knead to a soft and smooth dough. Let it raise in volume for 90 minutes or more.
- to make paneer masala:
- Heat oil in a kadai and temper with cumin seeds,green chillies and grated ginger.
- Add methi leaves,salt,turmeric powder,garam masala and saute well for 5-6 minutes.
- Add crumbled paneer and mix well.Saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice mix well and let cool thoroughly
- to make paneer stuffed masala buns:
- Take the raised dough and knead it slightly again. divide it into 9-10 equal sized portions.
- Take one portion,roll it slightly and keep 2 teaspoons of prepared filling. Seal the edges towards the center and shape it like a smooth bun.
- Repeat the same with all the portions.
- Arrange the prepared buns in a baking tray,give a milk wash and add some toasted sesame seeds.
- Preheat oven for 10 minutes to 200C.
- Bake the shaped buns in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes,till it slightly changes in color. Serve hot.
2. You can use maida or wheat flour+maida instead of whole wheat flour
3. You can use spinach,cilantro,mint instead of methi leaves