Last updated on February 16th, 2018
Upma recipe with rava with step by step photos. Upma is synonymous to rava upma or sooji upma in most of the homes. Rava upma recipe is one of the most underrated breakfast or tiffin from south India. Rava also known as sooji or cream of wheat is widely used in south Indian cuisine. Rava upma recipe is the quickest preparation we can make with rava or cream of wheat.
Rava upma is either liked or hated by most of the people. It is one of the popular breafast. We get rava upma in all restaurants in south India for breakfast. Rava upma with chutney and filter coffee is often preferred. I have not seen rava upma served with pickles though.
Making rava upma is easy but a bit tricky for beginners. The rava has to roasted perfectly to make perfect rava upma. Also it is important to stir well so that no lumps or uncooked blocks of rava is formed. Once mastered making rava upma recipe does not take much time. In fact once the roasted rava ready rava upma can be made in 10 minutes flat. You can make fancier versions like vegetable upma recipe or tomato upma recipe with this basic rava upma recipe.
To make perfect rava upma recipe few tips can be followed.
- Roast rava with 1/2 teaspoon ghee for flavorful rava upma
- 1 teaspoon ghee or coconut oil can be drizzled once upma is cooked and ready to serve.
- Add generous quantity of thinly sliced onions for flavorful upma recipe
- If you prefer non sticky upma follow 1:1.5 ratio for rava and water. For mushy upma 1:1.75 will be correct.
Serve upma with chutney, sugar, sambar etc.
Rava upma video
How to make rava upma recipe.
Heat a thick pan with 1/2 teaspoon ghee.
Add the rava and roast in low flamer until aromatic. The rava should be free flowing and that indicates it is roasted well.
Remove to a plate. In the same kadai add 2 tablespoons oil.
Once the oil is hot temper with mustard seeds and urad dal.
Add channa dal and saute well.
Add crushed ginger, slit green chilies, curry leaves, cashews and fry well.
Add sliced onions and saute without changing the color.
Now add the water and required salt. bring to a full boil.
Lower the flame and sprinkle rava and stir very well. There should be no lumps.
Once all the water is absorbed simmer for 5 minutes in low flame.
Fluff up and serve rava upma hot.
Rava upma recipe card below:
- 1 cup rava
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2-3 green chilies slit
- 6-7 cashews
- 1 tablespoon channa dal
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- Heat a thick kadai or pan with 1/2 teaspoon ghee.
- Add the rava and roast in low flamer until aromatic. The rava should be free flowing and that indicates it is roasted well.
- Remove to a plate. In the same kadai add 2 tablespoons oil.
- Once the oil is hot temper with mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Add channa dal and saute well.
- Add crushed ginger, slit green chilies, curry leaves, cashews and fry well.
- Add sliced onions and saute without changing the color.
- Now add the water and required salt. bring to a full boil
- Lower the flame and sprinkle rava, stirring constantly.Stir very well so that no lumps are formed.
- Once all the water is absorbed simmer for 5 minutes in low flame.
- Fluff up and serve rava upma hot.