Last updated on May 27th, 2019
Spicy baby potato fry makes for an excellent vegan and gluten free side dish for your rice and flatbread recipes. Parboiled baby potatoes, seasoned and sauteed until crispy in this recipe. Made with just a handful of ingredients and within 30 minutes, this baby potato fry is one dish that you will love.
Potatoes are the most popular tuber vegetable loved across the world. In every country and regional cuisine you will find special recipes with potatoes. In Indian we have so many aloo recipes. We have recipes ranging from aloo paratha to dum aloo to aloo tikki.
This baby potato roast is a popular south Indian preparation where you just toss the boiled baby potatoes in some oil, season and saute till crispy. As simple as that yet a very satiating and delicious side dish with potatoes.
This Baby Potato Fry Recipe
Is vegan & gluten free
No onion & garlic
Uses less oil compared with other recipes
Tastes excellent with crispy crust.
Goes well with all rice and flatbread
Kid friendly side dish
This small potato fry is a favorite among kids and we used to love it too. It pairs up very well with sambar, rasam and curd rice. I also serve this roast with roti and paratha. Tastes wonderful and a filling meal for toddlers and kids.
Keeping this recipe as base you can easily vary the seasoning and make this in many ways.
Are the deep fried?
No, these baby potatoes are deep fried. These are sauteed or roasted in a cast iron pan thus needing way less oil yet makes very crispy potato roast.
If you want you can even deep or shallow fry the bay potatoes. That will definitely add up to the taste with of course with more oil consumption.
Can I roast these in oven?
Yes, you can easily roast these baby potatoes in oven. The seasoning should be done prior. Here is how to do that.
Par boil the cleaned potatoes for 5 minutes in water. Peel the skin, prick the potatoes with a fork or toothpick and toss them into mixing bowl. Add required salt and preferred seasoning like chili powder or paprila or
small potato fry recipe | chinna urulaikizhangu varuval recipe
- 20 baby potatoes preferably of same size
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Pick same sized baby potatoes and wash them.Pressure cook the potatoes until tey are boiled yet firm.I generally pressure cook for up to 2 whistles
- Once the pressure is released,peel the potatoes and drain the water completely.Pat dry in a kitchen towel.Using a tooth pick or small fork prick each potato in 2-3 places
- Heat a kadai and add 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil.Once the oil is ot temper with mustard,urad and curry leaves.Add asafoetida and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chilli powder,turmeric powder and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now gently add the boiled potatoes and mix gently.Lower the flame and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add salt,remaining oil and mix well.Cook till the potatoes turn golden sauteing every now and then.Once done,remove from flame and serve hot with rice,kuzambu
2.Selecting same sized potatoes elps in even,fast cooking.
3.Adding chilli powder and turmeric powder directly to the oil enhances the flavor greatly.