Last updated on July 16th, 2019
Upma kozhukkattai or pidi kozhukattai recipe is a traditional easy and healthy Breakfast from Tamil cuisine. This low oil, vegan and gluten free steamed rice dumplings are also prepared for Vinayaka Chaturti Pooja. With very few simple ingredients, you can make this pidi kozhukattai in 20 minutes flat. Tastes best with chutney.
Pidi Kozhukattai means steamed dumplings in Tamil. There are many varieties in this dish like sweet modhakam, ulundhu kozhukattai. It is a snack similar to momos, only healthier. It is made with rice flour and uses very less oil. The base of this recipe is a arisi upma so it is also called upma kozhukattai.
On days when I don’t have idli or dosa batter handy I end up making upma for breakfast. Some days traditional recipes like this kozhukattai, upma, ven pongal for breakfast. They get ready very quickly and you can serve just with sambar. It is a very healthy and light dish yet filling and satiating. Kids will also love this as it is more of a snack. Sometimes I make it as very small pebble sized dumplings and I also sneak in some veggies like grated carrot at times.
This Upma Kozhukattai Recipe
Easy and quick to make
Clean, low oil breakfast that is steamed
Vegan and gluten free
Tastes very delicious and flavorful
How To Prepare The Rice Rava For Pidi Kozhukattai
To make this recipe you will need rice rava. You can use store bought one but I prepare it from scratch as it easy and quick.
To make rice rava, first pick and rinse the rice grains. Drain thoroughly and spread it on a clean cloth or wide plate. Let dry for 10 minutes. While the rice is still damp pulse in the mixer grinder for few seconds. The consistency should be like fine semolina. Do not grind to a fine powder. Store in a clean dry container and use as required.
You can use this rice rava to make idi, upma, dosa and many more recipes.
How To Make Pidi Kozhukattai
Rinse and dry the raw rice thoroughly. Spread the clean cloth and dry for 10 minutes. While the rice is still damp, pulse it in mixer to fine rava consistency. Do not grind to a fine powder.
Heat oil in a kadai and temper with mustard, urad,channa dal. Add green chilies, red chili, curry leaves and ginger.Saute well for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the rice rava and saute for 3 minutes.Add 2 1/2 cups water and cook till all the water is absorbed and the mixture becomes a lump.
4. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes.It should be warm to touch.
5. Pinch big lemon sized balls and shape like a cylinder with your hand. This process is called “pidi” and hence the name pidi kozhukattai.
6.Arrange the dumplings in a steamer or idly cooker and steam for 12-15 minutes.Once done the kozhukattais should be non sticky,glossy and move around the steamer freely.
7. Top with grated coconut and serve hot.
Upma Kozhukattai Recipe
Upma kozhukattai recipe | pidi kozhuattai recipe,how to make upma kozhukattai
- 1 1/4 cup raw rice
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons channa dal
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 2 green chillies
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon grated ginger optional
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida optional
- 10-12 curry leaves
- Measure raw rice and sprinkle water and mix with your fingers.Fan dry it for 30 minutes.Once dry grind it to rava consistency.It should not be a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a kadai and temper with mustard,urad,channa dal.Add green chillies,red chilli,asafoetida,curry leaves and inger.Saute well for 3-5minutes.
- Add the rice rava and saute for 3 minutes.Add 2 1/2 cups water and cook till all the water is absorbed and the mixture becomes a lump.Allow it to cool for 10 minutes.It should be warm to touch.
- Pinch big lemon sized balls and shape like a cylinder with your hand.This process is called "pidi" and hence the name pidi kozhukattai.
- Arrange the dumplings in a steamer or idly cooker and steam for 12-15 minutes.Once done the kozhukattais should be non sticky,glossy and move around the steamer freely.
- Once done,add the grated coconut and serve hot
2.Adding ginger is optional.
3.You can add grated carrots along with coconut.