Last updated on August 2nd, 2019
Vendakkai varuval recipe-crispy delicious okra fry with Indian spices.
Vendakkai varuval recipe / crispy ladies finger fry recipe, today I am sharing a very easy and tasty snack made with okra/ladies finger. Vendakkai varuval recipe with step wise pictures,very delicious,addictive and crispy snack made with vendakkai/okra and curd along with few spices. I had this vendakai varuval only after my marriage and from then on I have been making this once in a while. This crispy okra fry recipe will have even haters ask for more 🙂 and it just tastes great as side dish with dal fry, though you can serve this vendakkai varuval recipe as snack,I always pair this up a side dish with with dal fry, tomato dal, kathrikai rasavangi or even vengaya sambar. This is a deep fried version of vendakai varuval recipe, I have not tried shallow frying in low flame yet for this recipe. Use tender fresh okra for best results and kashmiri chilli powder if you want a deep red color,here I have used normal homemade chilli powder only. This is a vegan crispy okra fry recipe, I have used very less amount of water here to just bind the flours, if you want you can add curd instead of water and in fact curd reduces the okra slime to an extent but okra’s slime is natural and it will not go off completely what ever you do :), by the way did you know okra slime is good for you. Do try this easy vendakai varuval recipe and tell me how you liked it 🙂
If you are looking for easy okra recipe do check
Step by step vendakkai varuval recipe:
1. Wash and dry the okras thoroughly. You can gently wipe of with a kitchen towel and fan dry for 15 minutes. Using a dry cutting and board and knife chop the okras into bite size rounds.
2. Take gram flour,rice flour,salt,chilli powder,turmeric powder and asafoetida in a mixing bowl.
3. Add the chopped okras,sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons water and make a tight dough like mixture as shown in the picture.
4. Heat oil for deep frying. Take a handful of okra mixture and add carefully into the hot oil,distribute evenly so that the okra pieces remain separate.
5. Deep fry till the frying sound ceases and okra turns golden brown.
6. Remove to a vessel or kitchen towel to remove the excess oil.
7. Serve vendakai varuval recipe hot with rice.
Vendakai varuval recipe details below:
Vendakai varuval recipe, how to make crispy okra fry recipe
- 20-25 tender fresh okra
- 3 tablespoons gram flour
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash and dry the okras thoroughly.
- Take gram flour,rice flour,salt,turmeric powder.chilli powder and asafoetida in amixing bowl.
- Add the cut okras to it.
- Add2-3 tablespoons water and mix well.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Add the okra mixture in hot oil in batches and deep fry until golden brown.
- Drain and serve vendaki varval hot with rice.
2. You can add lemon juice in the mixture.
3. Do not crowd the pan while frying,the fry will turn soggy