Easy Paneer Tikka Masala Recipe
Paneer tikka masala is a popular Indian paneer curry in which spiced grilled paneer cubes are simmered in a delicious & creamy gravy. Tikka is usually referred to food that is marinated and grilled. So paneer tikka masala means paneer cubes, marinated, grilled and further simmered in masala. You will love this super flavorful and tasty Indian curry with soft butter naan, paratha and jeera rice! Here is how to make best paneer tikka masala at home!
for panner tikka
- 200 grams paneer cubed
- 1 large onion cubed
- ½ green bellpepper cubed
- ½ red or yellow pepper cubed
For the marinade:
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt / hung curd Or non dairy curd
- 2-3 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala or amchur
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste or crushed ginger garlic
- 2 teaspoons kashmiri chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Black salt or regular salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
For paneer tikka masala/ gravy
- 1 1/2 cups tomato puree from 4 large tomatoes
- 15 cashews grind to smooth paste with 1/4 cup water
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamoms
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh cream optional
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- kasuri methi Dried fenugreek leaves
- cilantro leaves
For paneer Marinade
keep cubed paneer, onions and bell pepper ready.
take hung curd in a mixing bowl and whisk well. Add all the other ingredients mentioned under "to marinade" and whisk very well.
Add the paneer and vegetables cubes and mix well. You can even toss well to coat the masala.
Cover and refrigerate for minimum 2 hours. You can even refrigerate over night. In the mean time soak 3-4 bamboo skewers in water for 2 hours.
After 2 hours, the marinade would have well coated the paneer cubes.
Arrange the paneer cubes on a greased tava and cook on high flame for 3-4 minutes. I always add everything at one go, remove paneer after 3 minutes and cook the vegetables for 2 more minutes. Once the tikka is ready, remove to a plate. Reserve the leftover marinade mixture if any.
To make paneer tikka masala or gravy
heat a pan with 2 tablespoons butter or oil. Once the butter is melted and hot, add bay leaf, clove and cardamoms. Saute for a minute
Add chopped onions and saute till the onions turn soft. Add ginger garlic paste, slit green chilies and saute well.
Add tomato puree, the leftover marinade and mix well. Cover and cook till the tomato puree reduces in volume and leaves out fat from the sides.
Add kashmiri chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder. Saute till the raw smell of spice powders go off.
Add cashew paste and mix well. Add 1 cup water and mix. Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Season with salt.
Mix well and cook till the paneer masala gravy reaches the desired consistency.
Once the gravy is thick to your preference, add fresh cream and stir. Add prepared paneer tikkas and simmer for 2 minutes. Do not cook for long time after adding cream and tgikks.
Add crushed kasuri methi, mix and remove from flame. Add finely chopped cilantro leaves and serve paneer tikka masala wih naan, kulcha, roti etc.
- You can make the marinade before night.
- Do not cook paneer tikka fro long time in tava as it will turn chewy
Serving: 3g | Calories: 499kcal