Indian Style Masala Pasta
Masala pasta is a delicious and flavorful Indian style pasta with curried vegetable masala. This is a super quick recipe that you can make in 20 minutes, vegan and gluten free too. This is such a kid friendly pasta recipe that you can pack in lunch or serve for quick dinner.
- 1.5 cups pasta any variety
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste or minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions chopped fine
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes chopped fine
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro lraves
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
Bring a large pot of water to rolling boil.
Add few drops of oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well.
Add the measured pasta and mix well.
Once cooked, drain excess water after reserving around 1/4 cup pasta cooked water.Keep covered until use.
Making Masala For Pasta
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds.
Next add slit green chili, minced ginger garlic. Saute for a minute.
Add sliced onions and saute for 2 minutes.
Now add finely chopped tomatoes. For a super smooth pasta you can blanch and puree the tomatoes but for quick weeknight dinners, I just add chopped tomatoes.
Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, ground coriander, ground cumin.
Mix well and saute for 7-8 minutes or until the tomatoes are well cooked and oil separates from sides. Add chopped vegetables and mix well.
Add salt to taste and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until the vegetables turn soft.
How To Make Masala Pasta
Now once the veggies are well cooked, add the cooked pasta. Now add 2-3 tablespoons of pasta cooked water and mix well.
Toss well, add chopped cilantro or coriander leaves and lemon juice. Adjust salt if required.
Mix well and serve Indian style masala pasta hot.
- While cooking pasta do add few drops of oil to avoid sticking and breaking of cooked pasta.
- Adding few tablespoons of pasta cooked water prevents the dish from getting dry and also makes it more tasty.
- You can any of your favorite vegetables like corn, peas in this recipe. It will be attractive to kids too.
- If not vegan, you can use butter to saute the veggies to enhance flavor. On the same note you can also add some cream after cooking veggies.
- You can double the recipe.
Serving: 3g | Calories: 128kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 4g | Sodium: 92mg | Potassium: 319mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3210IU | Vitamin C: 76mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1.1mg