Baingan Bharta Recipe
Baingan bharta is a delicious mashed eggplant stir fry. A very popular north Indian, Punjabi baingan or eggplant recipe. Here open flame roasted and smoked eggplants are mashed and sauteed with very few Indian spices, making it an excellent dish with a side of roti or naan. Vegan , gluten free and one of our absolute favorites at home.
Servings: 3 servings
- 1 large eggplant suitable for roasting
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and cloved
- 2 tablespoons oil more for rubbing over eggplant
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 2 green chilies slit
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice
Roasting the eggplant.
Rinse and wipe off excess moisture from eggplant. Switch on the flame and place a stove top grill stand. Let it heat for 2 minutes. In the mean time make two slits in the baingan and push 2-3 halved garlic cloves. Place the eggplant on grill.
Using a spoon rotate the eggplant and roast it from all sides. The skin should be completely blistered and there will also be a wonderful smoky flavor. It takes around 10-12 minutes in high open flame. This is a very important step, do not rush it.
Once the eggplant is thoroughly is roasted and smokey, plunge it down in a bowl of cold water. Once the eggplant is cooled, remove the peel completely and mash it roughly.
To make bangan bharta curry:
Heat oil in a heavy pan. You can use mustard oil or vegetable oil. Add cumin seeds and saute for few seconds. Also add slit green chilies, chopped garlic, finely chopped onion and saute well for a minute.
Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute well.
Next throw in the coriander powder, red chilli powder, ground turmeric and saute well till the raw flavor leaves and tomatoes are well cooked.
Add the roasted and mashed eggplants and mix well. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Add chopped coriander leaves and toss well. Serve baingan bharta with phulka.
Roasting Eggplant In Oven.
- If roasting eggplant is not an option for you, you can use oven and roast it. Please note that this method will not yield baingan bharta with authentic flavor profile. The smoky flavor will be missing. Here are the instructions.
- Preheat your oven at 210 C or 410 F. Rinse and wipe off excess water from a big eggplant. Rub some peanut oil all over it. Make 2 deep slits in the baingan.
- Stud 2 peeled and chopped garlic. Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes or until eggplant is well roasted. Let cool in the tray for 5 minutes.
- Plunge it in cold water, remove the peel and proceed with the recipe.
- To make this bharta at its best, do not rush the process of roasting the eggplants. It should be completely charred and peel should be blister completely.
- Do not add more spice powders in this recipe.
- If you absolutely have no choice you can roast the eggplant in oven, but the flavor and taste will be different.
- The recipe can be doubled.
Serving: 3servings | Calories: 160kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 113mg | Potassium: 533mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 496IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg