Batata Vada Recipe
Mumbai batata pav recipe is a popular potato snack recipe made with mashed potatoes and Indian spices. They can be used to make vada pav or served as tea time snack!
Servings: 10 vada
For batata vada batter
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour OR gram flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons hot oil
For batata vada stuffing
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 2 green chilies
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 2 large potates boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder optional
- oil for deep frying
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
To make batter
Mix gram flour, rice flour, red chilli powder and salt.Take 2 teaspoons oil from the frying pan and add to the flours. Mix with your finger tips.
.Add water to form a thick batter.The batter should be thick enough to coat the potatoes.
To make potato stuffing for batata vada
Boil and peel the potatoes. Mash them very well so that there are no lumps.
Add salt and turmeric powder to the mashed potatoes.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil and add mustard, curry leaves, green chili, ginger garlic, asafoetida. Fry for a minute. Add the tempering to the potatoes along with the oil. Add coriander leaves, lemon juice and mix well with a spoon. Let it cool for sometime.
Once they are warm to touch,mix well with your hands and make small balls.You should be able to make 8-10 balls for this quantity.Keep them aside.
To make batata vada
Heat oil for deep frying.
Once the oil is hot, flatten the potato balls slightly and dip in the prepared batter and coat evenly.
Deep fry 2-3 vadas at a time in medium flame,until it is golden from both sides.
Serve piping hot with green chutney,sweet chutney or sauce.
- The addition of oil in batter is to ensure crispiness. We often do this for south Indian deep fried snacks.
- The consistency of batter is crucial. If it is too thin then it will not coat the potatoes,if too thick then the batter will remain uncooked.The consistency should be something like idly batter
- If you are not going to make vada pav,there is no need to flatten the potato balls,you can just keep them round.
Serving: 10g | Calories: 56kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 36mg | Potassium: 80mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 38IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 1mg