Manathakkali Keerai Kootu Recipe
Manathakkali keerai kootu recipe- manthakkali keerai is known as black nightshade is one of the very healthiest greens used widely in south Indian cuisine. These greens are best home remedy for mouth ulcer. Here is a very easy and healthy recipe for manathakkali keerai kootu without coconut. Tastes best with hot rice and ghee!
- 4 cups manathakkali keerai leaves (black nightshade leaves)
- 1/4 cup moong dal split green gram
- Salt to taste
To temper kootu
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon channa dal
- 3 teaspoons peanuts
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 green chili slit
Pluck the leaves from stalk and soak in salted water for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly while changing the water 2-3 times. Drain well and take the leaves in a pressure cooker.
To that add 1/4 cup rinsed moong dal and mix well.
Pressure cook for 4 whistles. Once the pressure is released add salt to taste and mash very well.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small pan. Temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal and slit green chilies.
Also add turmeric powder and peanuts. Saute for a minute.
Add to the mashed greens and mix well. Simmer for a minute and remove from flame. Serve with rice.
- Add salt only after the greens are cooked as they reduce considerably in volume after cooking
- peanuts are optional
- You can add 2 tablespoons grated coconut to reduce the bitterness