Gujarati Handvo Recipe
Handvo is a Gujarati snack or savory cake made with rice, lentils and veggies. This recipe of handvo is simple to make and outright delicious. You can make this snack in oven as well as on stove top in a pan. Serve with green chutney for a healthy and wholesome snack or breakfast.
Servings: 4 handvo
- 1 cup rice
- 3/4 cup toor dal split pigeon peas
- 1/2 cup channa dal Bengal gram
- 2 tablespoons urad dal skinned black gram
- 2 tablespoons moong dal green gram (optional)
- 1/2 cup yogurt thick curd
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 cup grated bottle gourd
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled and minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fruit salt (eno) or 1/2 teaspoon baking powder + few drops of lemon juice
To Temper Handvo
- 2 tablespoons oil more for cooking
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 10 curry leaves
Pick, rinse and soak the mixed lentils in 2 cups of water for 4-6 hours . You will need 3/4 cup toor dal or split pigeon peas, 1/2 cup chana dal, 2 tablespoons urad dal, 2 tablespoons moong dal. Also soak 1 cup raw rice for 4 hours separately.
At the time of grinding, drain and take the rice and lentils combined in a mixer jar.
Grind to a coarse paste. without adding water
Next add yogurt and salt. Blend again to a smooth paste. If only necessary add 1/8 cup water.
Take the batter in a mixing bowl. Add chopped green chilies, grated carrots, grated bottle gourd, chopped coriander leaves, minced ginger and sugar. You can also use garlic ginger paste. Mix very well.
At the time of [preparing handvo, add fruit salt. It will react with the batter. Mix very well again.
Finally add oil and mix well. Now the batter is ready.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a cast iron pan . Temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves and sesame seeds.
Pour 3/4 cup batter into a round. Adjust the shape and thickness with the ladle to make it 1 or 2 inches thick. Cook in medium flame for 5-6 minutes by covering the pan
Flip carefully and cook the other side also for 3-4 minutes
Handvo is done once the top turns golden and edges turn crispy. Finish off the remaining batter same way Serve hot after slicing into wedges
- Serve handvo hot or warm with green chutney or red chutney. It goes very well as a snack with tea.
- You can also let it cool down and pack in snack box with sauce.
- Make it in small muffin cups or cut into dainty triangles for a wonderful party starter.
- For each handvo prepare the tempering fresh while making in a pan.
- The cooking time varies with the consistency of batter and thickness of handvo you want to make. If you prefer a thin crispy ones it takes less time to cook compared to thick spongy ones.
- you can also make plain handvo without vegetables.
Serving: 3servings | Calories: 498kcal | Carbohydrates: 80g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 117mg | Potassium: 101mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 139IU | Vitamin C: 53mg | Calcium: 132mg | Iron: 3mg