Okra rice or bhindi rice is one of the easiest rice recipes you can make for lunch box. With just very few ingredients and a handful of cooked rice or leftover rice, this okra rice comes together. Moderately spiced and very flavorful bhindi rice is a fuss free choice for lunch. Kids will love this with a simple salad or chips. Here is how to make easy okra rice for lunchbox.
- 1.5 cups cooked and cooled rice Long grain or regular
- 2 cups chopped okra
- 1 cup peeled and cubed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt to taste
Pick and rinse okra very well. Pat them dry and chop of the head and tail. Now cut then okra into 1 inch rounds or slightly bigger. Scrub and peel the potatoes. Chop them into cubes as well. You will need 2 cups copped okra and 1 cup cubed potatoes.
Keep 1.5 cups cooked and rice ready.
Heat 2 tablespoons sesame in a pan. Temper with cumin seeds. Add chopped onions and saute till they turn a bit soft.
Now add the chopped okra and potatoes. Mix well and saute for a minute.
Season with salt, 1/2 teaspoon each turmeric powder, chili powder and garam masala powder.
Mix well and cook for 8-10 minutes.
Add cooked and cooled rice.
Serve warm or let okra rice cool down before packing in lunch.
- You can leave out potatoes and make this rice only with okra
- you can double or halve the recipe
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for 2 days and reheated.
Serving: 3servings | Calories: 205kcal