Bhuna Masala Recipe (Indian Curry Base)
Love Indian curries? having a jar of this bhuna masala or the base masala will come super handy for you. Made with onions, tomatoes and very few other staple ingredients, this curry base will have your dinner woes sorted 🙂 Here is how you can make classic and tasty Indian bhuna masala base in minutes!
Servings: 4 cups
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons ginger garlic paste or minced ginger garlic
- 4 green chilies adjust as per taste
- 6 cup pureed tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt to taste
Heat 1/4 cup oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Temper with cumin seeds
Add chopped onions and saute for a minute or two.
Now add minced ginger-garlic-green chilies.
Saute well till the raw smell of onions wean off.
Add the tomato puree and mix gently. Cook in medium flame for 4-5 minutes, keeping the pan open.
Add the spice powders, salt and sugar. Mix very well.
Cook in open pan for 5-6 minutes.
Now Cover the pan and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until oil leaves the sides of the pan. The contents should get cooked and reduced in volume.
Let cool thoroughly and store in clean jar.
- You can refrigerate this curry base for 2 weeks in a clean jar. This also freezes well for moths. Just portion out and freeze in small jars.
- For making a curry for three, you will around 1/2 to 3/4 cup depending upon the other ingredients you use.
- You can mix in some milk or cashew paste to dilute the sauce, simmer for few minutes and add cubed paneer or boiled or fried potatoes or mushrooms or chickpeas for easiest curry. Adjust salt before serving.