Crispy homemade spring rolls with homemade wrappers and flavorful veggie filling.
Servings: 15 spring rolls
For veg filling
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons oil preferabbly sesame
- 4-5 minced garlic cloves
- 1.5 inches minced ginger
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 cups mixed veggies carrots, vabbage, beans, capsicum
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon milled black pepper
- salt to taste
- sugar a pinch
For Spring rolls
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3-4 teaspoons water
- 15 spring roll wrappers
- oil for frying
Heat 2 tablespoons sesame oil in a wok or pan.
Add minced ginger garlic, chili flakes. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add finely chopped onions. I have used scallion whites here.
Now add the finely chopped mixed veggies.
Add freshly cracked pepper, salt and a bit of sugar. Mix very well.
Add vinegar, soy sauce and mix. Cook in high flame for 7-8 minutes sauteing continuously.
The veggies should be only half cooked as we are going to fry them again. They should retain crunch. If you cook them thoroughly they will soak up lot of oil while frying.
Remove from flame and set aside.
Shaping and frying spring rolls
Mix 4 tablespoons plain four with 3-4 teaspoons water and make a slurry. This is for sealing the edges.
Place a wrapper in a work surface and apply the slurry over the edges. Place 2-3 teaspoons of prepared filling in a corner.
Flip both the edges and seal in the middle. Also seal the corners by folding and pushing inside. Prepare all the rolls and arrange in a tray.
heat oil for deep frying. The oil should be hot but not smoking (190C). To check just drop a small piece of wrapper and if it raises immedietly then oil is ready. If it sinks, oil is not hot enough.
Now slide 3-4 prepared rolls in hot oil. You can add more or less rolls depending on the size of your pan.
Fry until golden and crispy.
Drain excess oil and serve spring rolls immedietly with any dipping sauce.
- The filling is only with veggies sauteed in high flame with minimum seasoning. I have seen few restaurants serve noodles spring rolls and that simply doesn’t cut with me.
- you can double the recipe.
- if some filling remains you can use it in noodles or fried rice.
Serving: 15spring rolls | Calories: 298kcal