Thai Basil Tofu Stir Fry
This Thai basil tofu stir fry is our latest addiction and will become yours too once you try! Crispy yet soft pan fried tofu tossed in a super delicious sweet and spicy sauce with thai basil leaves. Perfect with jasmine rice, noodles. Ready in 20 minutes flat, vegan and can be easily made gluten free.
- 230 grams Firm or extra frim tofu 8 oz
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil divided
- 1.5 inches ginger peeled and minced
- 5 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1.5 teaspoon chili flakes can also use siracha, add along with soy sauce
- 3/4 cup sliced onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced bell peppers mixed colors
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup thai basil leaveas more for serving
- 3 tablespoons chopped spring onion greens
To begin with, press your tofu block for 20 minutes using a tofu press or two heavy objects. Once done cut the tofu into very small cubes. Chopping the tofu into small cubes helps in absorbing the sauce really well.
Now heat a heavy cast iron pan or skillet with 1 tablespoon oil. In medium heat, add the tofu cubes as single layer.
Pan fry the tofu cubes for 4-5 minutes or until they turn slightly crispy and golden from all sides. Remove to a plate.
In the same pan heat 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil. Throw in the minced ginger garlic and chili flakes. Fry for a minute in high heat.
Now maintaining high heat add thinly sliced onions. Saute for a minute.
Next in goes the sliced bell peppers and saute.
Now add the soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and freshly cracked black peppercorns.
Saute for 3-4 minutes. Throw in 1/2 cup torn thai basil leaves. Mix well and saute for a minute.
Finally in goes the pan fried tofu and toss in the sauce for a minute. Remove from flame, add more basil leaves and chopped spring onion greens. Serve hot.
- If you want to use paneer in this recipe instead of tofu you totally can, it would be vegetarian Thai stir fry with paneer :)
- Increase or decrease the sauce ingredients as per taste.
- You can add some toasted sesame seeds or crushed peanuts as toppings.
- use tamari instead of soy sauce to make recipe this gluten free.
- The recipe cab be doubled. Use a bigger pan accordingly.
Serving: 3g | Calories: 256kcal