Veg Chilli Milii
Veg chilli milii is a tasty restaurant style north Indian curry with mixed vegetables. This vegan and gluten free curry has a tomato cashew base. It is rich, creamy and moderately spiced curry best paired with naan, roti or rice.
- 15 cashew nuts soaked in warm water
- 2.5 cups tomato puree from 3 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cabbage shredded
- 1/2 cup carrot cut into batons
- 3/4 cup bell peppers cut into strips
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup methi leaves optional
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 green chilies slit
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste or freshly minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons kasoori methi
First of all soak 15 cashews in warm water for 20 minutes and grind to a smooth paste. Next puree 3 large tomatoes and measure 2.5 cups of it.
To make the curry, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add 1 bay leaf, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 2 slit green chilies and saute well for 30 seconds. Add finely chopped onions and saute till they turn a bit soft. Now add the ginger garlic paste or freshly mined ginger and garlic.
Saute for a minute. Add cleaned methi leaves if using along with green peas. Saute well for a minute.
Add the prepared tomato puree and mix.
Add spice powders namely ground turmeric, kashmiri red chilli powder, ground coriander and garam masala. Mix well and cook. Cook for around 6-7 minutes or until tomatoes are thoroughly cooked.
Add the chopped vegetables and mix. Add salt to taste.
Next add 1.5 cups water and bring to a boil.
Add cashew paste and mix. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until the gravy thickens.
Finally add kasoori methi and mix well. Remove from flame. Veg chilli milli is ready.
- This veg chilli milli curry tastes best with any Indian breads like naan, kulcha, butter naan, paratha, roti etc.
- It also tastes good with plain rice, jeera rice, peas pulao.
Serving: 3servings | Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 186mg | Potassium: 1299mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 6029IU | Vitamin C: 92mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 6mg