Potato curry recipe | Potato masala recipe for poori
Potato masala curry recipe, a tasty and flavorful side dish with potatoes made specially for poori!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 3 large potatoes boiled and peeled
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon channa dal
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2-3 green chilies chopped
- 10 small onions/pearl onions peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic peeled and freshly minced
- 2 tablespoons ram flour
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Cilantro/coriander leaves
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
Boil and peel 3 large potatoes. Crumble or mash one potato thoroughly, roughly cube the other two. Peel and chop the pearl onions.
Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai. Once the oil is hot temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and channa dal. Saute in medium heat till the dals turn golden brown.
Add minced ginger-garlic, chopped green chilies and saute well.
Add chopped onions and saute till the color changes slightly.
Now add the shelled green peas and mix well.
Add crumbled as well as cubed potatoes and mix well. Saute for 1-2 minutes
Add gram flour and saute very well coating all the potatoes(3-4 minutes)
Add turmeric powder and saute well.
Add about 3/4 cup water, salt and mix well. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.
Once the masala thickens and reaches desired consistency, add cilantro leaves and simmer.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small pan and temper with curry leaves, dried red chilies and asafoetida. Add the tempering to the simmering masala. Close the lid immediately and switch off the flame.
Add lemon juice and mix well just before serving. Serve potato masala curry hot with poori
1. Do not skip garlic as it needs a deep flavor to the dish.
2. Add lemon juice just before serving.
3. You can add a small tomato along with onions instead of lemon juice.
4. The consistency of the masala is your preference, we like it a bit thick.
Serve this masala warm with hot poori. You can also add a side of pudina chutney. For more a complete breakfast, serve with coffee.