Potato masala recipe for poori as served in south Indian restaurants. This potato masala widely known as poori masala is the best ever side dish for poori that all south Indians vouch. If you love spicy and flavorful poori masala from south Indian restaurants, here is the best recipe of potato masala you can try at home!
Poori Masala- Quintessential south Indian Breakfast Combo!
Puffed up golden pooris with a generous serving of spicy and yellow potato masala is what my breakfast dreams are made of! I am sure those who have tasted this combo also agrees with me.
This potato masala for poori is such a delicious curry yet very simple to make. The recipe is in fact ridiculously simple for such a tasty dish.
This poori masala is
- easy and quick
- vegan and gluten free
- goes very well with many other dishes other than poori like dosa, roti etc.
The combination of boiled potatoes, lightly sauteed onions, green chilies wit few simple spices is a true delight in this potato masala and tastes best with poori. There are also other ways you can serve this potato masala.
I realized that I have not posted potato masala recipe for poori only when I got few reader’s request. Last week I again got a request for restaurant style potato masala recipe and that is when I prepared this for our breakfast 🙂
So do make this poori masala for weekend breakfast with this easy recipe and enjoy. You will also find many useful tips, variations and serving suggestions. Read on!
How To Make Potato Masala?
To make poori masala boil, peel and coarsely mash the potatoes. Heat oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves. Fry minced ginger garlic and slit green chilies. Add the chopped onions and saute for a minute.
Next add the green peas and saute. Next add the mashed potatoes and saute. Now add the gram flour, salt and turmeric powder. Mix well add required water.
Simmer to thicken the curry. Add coriander leaves and mix well. Finally add lemon juice and mix well.
How To Make Poori Masala In Pressure Cooker?
To make potato masala in pressure cooker here are the instructions. The recipe basically remains the same. Peel and cube the potatoes. Use a pressure cooker base to saute all the ingredients. Add the cubed potatoes with required water. Cover and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Open, simmer for 5-7 minutes till the curry thickens. Add coriander leaves, lemon juice and mix well. Serve with pooris.
How To Make Potato Masala For Poori Without Onion?
To make this potato masala without onion, you can just follow the recipe and leave out the onions. Finally while tempering add 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida and add it to the masala.
Saravana Bhavan Style Poori Masala
The potato masala served for poori in Hotel Saravana Bhavan was in rage few years back. Their masala has a strong flavor of onions, curry leaves and gram flour. Also fried cashews are used for garnishing. You can follow the same recipe and add 1/2 cup more chopped onions. While serving fry 10 cashews and add to the masala.
Serve potato masala warm with hot poori. You can also add a side of pudina chutney. For more a complete breakfast, serve with coffee.
This curry also tastes very well with
Top Tips To Remember
- Use pearl onions or shallots, they simply elevate the flavor.
- Roast the gram flour well before adding water. You can dry roast gram flour separately, but I usually saute it well along with potatoes.
- A second seasoning or tempering made at last with curry leaves and dried red chilies add to the flavor and taste well.
- When it comes to potatoes, mash one potato very well and roughly cube the remaining potatoes. This gives a nice texture to the masala and it does not watery.
Follow the above mentioned points and try the easy potato masala curry recipe, perfect to serve with light and fluffy pooris!
How To Make Poori Masala or Potato Masala Step by Step.
1. Boil and peel 3 large potatoes. Crumble or mash one potato thoroughly, roughly cube the other two. Peel and chop the pearl onions.
2. Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai. Once the oil is hot temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and channa dal. Saute in medium heat till the dals turn golden brown.
3. Add minced ginger-garlic, chopped green chilies and saute well.
4. Add chopped onions and saute till the color changes slightly.
5. Now add the shelled green peas and mix well.
6. Add crumbled as well as cubed potatoes and mix well. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
7. Add gram flour and saute very well coating all the potatoes(3-4 minutes).
8. Add turmeric powder and saute well.
9. Add about 3/4 cup water, salt and mix well. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.
10. Once the masala thickens and reaches desired consistency, add cilantro leaves and simmer.
11. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small pan and temper with curry leaves, dried red chilies and asafoetida. Add the tempering to the simmering masala. Close the lid immediately and switch off the flame.
12. Add lemon juice and mix well just before serving. Serve potato masala curry hot with poori
Poori Masala Recipe
Potato curry recipe | Potato masala recipe for poori
- 3 large potatoes boiled and peeled
- 3 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon channa dal
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2-3 green chilies chopped
- 10 small onions/pearl onions peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic peeled and freshly minced
- 2 tablespoons ram flour
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Cilantro/coriander leaves
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- Boil and peel 3 large potatoes. Crumble or mash one potato thoroughly, roughly cube the other two. Peel and chop the pearl onions.
- Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a kadai. Once the oil is hot temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and channa dal. Saute in medium heat till the dals turn golden brown.
- Add minced ginger-garlic, chopped green chilies and saute well.
- Add chopped onions and saute till the color changes slightly.
- Now add the shelled green peas and mix well.
- Add crumbled as well as cubed potatoes and mix well. Saute for 1-2 minutes
- Add gram flour and saute very well coating all the potatoes(3-4 minutes)
- Add turmeric powder and saute well.
- Add about 3/4 cup water, salt and mix well. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Once the masala thickens and reaches desired consistency, add cilantro leaves and simmer.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small pan and temper with curry leaves, dried red chilies and asafoetida. Add the tempering to the simmering masala. Close the lid immediately and switch off the flame.
- Add lemon juice and mix well just before serving. Serve potato masala curry hot with poori
2. Add lemon juice just before serving.
3. You can add a small tomato along with onions instead of lemon juice.
4. The consistency of the masala is your preference, we like it a bit thick.