Gujarati Handvo Recipe
Handvo is a Gujarati snack or savory cake made with rice, lentils and veggies. This recipe of handvo is simple to make and outright delicious. You can make this snack in oven as well as on stove top in a pan. Serve with green chutney for a healthy and wholesome snack or breakfast.
Servings: 4 handvo
- 1 cup raw rice
- 3/4 cup toor dal split pigeon peas
- 1/2 cup channa dal Bengal gram
- 2 tablespoons urad dal skinned black gram
- 2 tablespoons moong dal green gram (optional)
- 1/2 cup yogurt thick curd
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 cup grated bottle gourd
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled and minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fruit salt (eno) or 1/2 teaspoon baking powder + few drops of lemon juice
To Temper Handvo
- 2 tablespoons oil more for cooking
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 10 curry leaves
Rinse and soak the mixed lentils in 2 cups of water for four to six hours
Soak rice for 4 hours.
drain and take the lentils and rice in a blender or mixer jar.
Grind to a coarse paste. without adding water
Next add yogurt and salt. Blend again to a smooth paste. If only necessary add 1/8 cup water.
Tip the batter into a mixing bowl
Add grated carrots, grated bottle gourd, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chilies, minced ginger and sugar.
At the time of [preparing handvo, add fruit salt. It will react with the batter. Mix very well again.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a cast iron pan
Temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves and sesame seeds.
Pour 3/4 cup batter into a round. Adjust the shape and thickness with the ladle to make it 1 or 2 inches thick.
Cook in medium flame for 5-6 minutes by covering the pan
Flip carefully and cook the other side also for 3-4 minutes
Handvo is done once the top turns golden and edges turn crispy. Finish off the remaining batter same way
Serbe hot after slicing into wedges
- Serve handvo hot or warm with green chutney or red chutney. It goes very well as a snack with tea.
- You can also let it cool down and pack in snack box with sauce.
- Make it in small muffin cups or cut into dainty triangles for a wonderful party starter.
- For each handvo prepare the tempering fresh while making in a pan.
- The cooking time varies with the consistency of batter and thickness of handvo you want to make. If you prefer a thin crispy ones it takes less time to cook compared to thick spongy ones.
- you can also make plain handvo without vegetables.