Smashed Cucumber Salad
Smashed cucumber salad is a delicious salad recipe from Asian cuisine (Chinese). This cucumber salad is prepared by a unique Asian technique-smashing the cucumbers until they burst open. Vegan and can be easily made gluten free. With a super flavorful Asian dressing, this Chinese salad is simply addictive and ridiculously easy to make. A wonderful side dish in any Asian meal.
Servings: 3 servings
- 2 cucumbers around 300 grams
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup bell peppers finely chopped, assorted colors
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black peppercorns
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
Rinse and wipe the cucumbers well.
Using a meat mallet or rolling pin smash the cucumbers along its length twice or thrice. Do not smash into pieces, just let them burst open well. Next chop them roughly and place in a large bowl sprinkle pinch of salt and mix well. Set aside for around 5 minutes. Squeeze excess cucumber water and discard.
Now in another small bowl mix the ingredients for dressing- peeled and minced ginger, minced garlic cloves, soy sauce, chopped cilantro leaves, vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk very well.
Now add the dressing to the chopped smashed cucumber pieces.
Also add chopped bell peppers, onions and mix well.
Serve the smashed cucumber salad immediately.
- You can add some avocado or sauteed broccoli to this salad to make it more filling.
- You can double or triple the recipe.
- Use any type of cucumber for this salad, it tastes good.
- Vary the quantity of dressing ingredients as per taste.
Serving: 3servings | Calories: 54kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 328mg | Potassium: 321mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 706IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 1mg