Methi paratha recipe with step by step photos. Super easy to make methi paratha or methi roti recipe for quick breakfast. Methi is the hindi name for fenugreek. So methi paratha means whole wheat fenugreek flat breads. Paratha is very popular north Indian breakfast and there are so many varieties of paratha recipes
Methi leaves are very healthy and nutrient rich. Cooking with methi leaves is very popular in indian cuisine. I have shared some easy methi recipes like methi poori, methi mata malai, methi pulao. Here is a healthy methi roti recipe to add in the list.
Methi paratha is very east to make provided you have fresh methi leaves. I usually use very tender methi leaves for methi recipes. Those leaves do not require chopping. i just wash them thoroughly by soaking in salted water for 10 minutes. Rinse well, dry and use the methi leaves in methi paratha recipe. Methi leaves will be covered by mud and dirt especially the tender ones. So it is very important to clean and rinse them thoroughly. I soak all greens in salted water to remove any pesticide to an extent.
To make methi paratha recipe, I have used ginger and green chilies for spice and flavor. You can even add garlic in methi paratha recipe for a sharp flavor. I have also used some garam masala and a pinch of dried mango powder in this methi roti recipe.
It is best to cook methi paratha with ghee. If you wish you can cook using oil and smear ghee later too. With this methi dough you can either make regula plain parathas, or roti or layered methi paratha like ajwain paratha. You can even make lachha paratha like this pudina paratha.
Methi paratha is very delicious, healthy and flavor packed on its own. You can serve methi paratha with any curry of your choice or plain curd and pickle too. Either way it will be delicious. You can include methi roti as a part of an elaborate meal as accomplishment to any dal or curry or sabzi.
Methi roti or methi paratha recipe card below:
Methi paratha recipe| Methi roti | How to make easy methi paratha recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- For methi paratha dough
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup tender or chopped methi leaves tightly packed
- 2-3 green chilies finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- A small piece of ginger peeled and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon oil
- To cook paratha
- Ghee or oil
- To make the dough:
- Take all the ingredients except water mentioned for dough in a mixing bowl. Add water in parts and make a soft and smooth dough. If the dough is very sticky, sprinkle some more flour and make a smooth dough.
- Rest the dough for 10-120 minutes
- To make paratha:
- Divide the dough into 10 small balls.
- Roll one dough ball into a paratha.
- Frying methi paratha:
- Heat a thick tava.
- Once the tava is hot place the rolled paratha. Flip after 30 seconds. Add ghee in the edges and fry until light brown spots appear on both sides.
- Smear some more ghee and serve methi paratha hot. You can even cool down the parathas and pack in lunch.
2. You can add garam masala in dough.
How to make methi paratha recipe with step by step photos.
To make the dough:
Take all the ingredients except water mentioned for dough in a mixing bowl. Add water in parts and make a soft and smooth dough. If the dough is very sticky, sprinkle some more flour and make a smooth dough.
Rest the dough for 10-120 minutes
To make paratha:
Divide the dough into 10 small balls.
Roll one dough ball into a paratha.
Frying methi paratha:
Heat a thick tava.
Once the tava is hot place the rolled paratha. Flip after 30 seconds. Add ghee in the edges and fry until light brown spots appear on both sides.
Smear some more ghee and serve methi paratha hot. You can even cool down the parathas and pack in lunch.