Last updated on September 13th, 2019
Banana chips recipe or plantain chips- Crispy and spicy chips or wafers made of raw banana is an all time favorite snack that we love to munch on. It is very addictive that once you start munching you easily loose count and go on and on 🙂 Here is how to make best homemade banana chips.
Homemade chips were our most favorite snacks while growing up. There was always a stash of crispy potato chips or banana chips or tapicoa wafers or tasty sweet potato chips at home. Mom also made tasty kerala stlye nendran chips occasionally.
These homemade banana chips are best tea time snacks for me. I love to munch on these wafers with hot tea, I know all of you do 🙂
While these plantain chips are so easily available in stores, nothing can match the taste and freshness of homemade chips. Also mostly store bought chips are fried in coconut oil and I am not a big fan. I prefer to fry my chips in groundnut oil only.
Making homemade chips with bananas or potatoes requires some effort and time,but totally worth it. You can totally customize and season them as you like. Moreover these are more flavorful, hygienic and fresh.
Every time I make banana chips at home I vary the seasoning to get different flavor. This time around I made them spicy and hot with red chili powder.
Banana chips keeps well for 10 days at room temperature when stored airtight. You can serve them as snack with tea or as side dish with peanut rice, coconut rice, lemon rice, tomato rice or sambar rice.
This Banana Chips Recipe Is
homemade, fresh and hygenic
Crispy, delicious and flavorful
Vegan & gluten free
Needs 4 ingredients and 30 minutes
We use green plantain or raw banana also known cooking plantain (vazhakkai) for making chips, fry, poriyal etc. The fruit or ripe banana is eaten as such or used for making desserts like caramelized bananas, smoothies, choco banana cake, banana bread.
I absolutely hate store bought plantain chips as they are very dense, usually made with coconut oil and not very fresh. I prefer making small batches of homemade banana chips, thin, crispy and very fresh!
Traditional method of making banana chips is slightly lengthy and time consuming. The peeled raw banana is sliced very thin, soaked in water and drained, then deep fried in hot oil. This method does yield very good plantain chips but you will have to spend more time.
So we follow this easy method of slicing the banana directly into the hot oil. Once the slices are deep fried sprinkle salt and chili powder, mix well and store in airtight containers.
How To Make Banana Chips
1. Heat oil for deep frying. Peel the skin of banana.
2. Using a slicer, slice the banana into thin wafers directly into the hot oil. Maintain medium heat throughout frying.
3. After few minutes gently turn the chips.
4. Deep fry till the sizzling sound ceases. The chips will tend to stick, so do not over crowd the pan.
5. Once done, add salt and chili powder while the chips are still hot. Toss very well and allow to cool.
6. Store banana chips in airtight container and serve as required.
Tips For Making Best Plantain Chips
- Use a very good sharp hand held mandoline or sharp slicer for slicing the bananas.
- Use firm unripe banana that is hallow when you tap for tasty chips.
- To get very fresh and crispy banana chips use fresh oil for deep frying, do not reheat and use the oil.
- You can use any refined oil or coconut oil for deep frying. Olive oil or sesame oil or gingely oil is not apt for frying banana chips.
- You can season the banana chips with salt OR salt and pepper powder or salt and chili powder. Sometimes I add a pinch of asafoetida too.
- These chips keeps well for 10 days at room temperature when stored airtight.
You Might Also Like
I hope you will try this plantain chips recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Banana Chips Recipe
Banana chips recipe | Plantain chips recipe
- 3 raw banana/plantain
- Chili powder
- Oil for deep frying
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Peel the skin of banana
- Using a slicer, slice the banana into thin wafers directly into the hot oil. Maintain medium heat throughout frying.
- After few minutes gently turn the chips.
- Deep fry till the sizzling sound ceases. The chips will tend to stick, so do not over crowd the pan.
- Once done, add salt and chili powder while the chips are still hot. Toss very well and allow to cool.
- Store banana chips in airtight container and serve as required.
2. You can even add pepper powder instead of chili powder.