Last updated on January 1st, 2018
Bhel puri recipe with step by step photos. Easy recipe for making Mumbai street food bhel puri with chutneys. Bhel puri can be made in two ways. Dry bhel pui or sukha bhel puri is made without chutneys. This recipe for wet bhel puri in which sweet chutney and green chutney are added. Few more Mumbai street food recipes popular on blog are pani puri, pav bhaji, ragda patties, sev puri, vada pav, tawa pulao.
Bhel puri is something like a savoy trail mix with tasty sauces for those who are not aware. The main ingredient for making bhel puri is puffed rice. Papdi is also an important ingredient in bhel puri. Further mashed potatoes, grated onions and tomatoes are added.
To make bhel puri I prefer to use homemade papdi. You can also use good quality store bought papdi. If yhou do not get papdi you can use crisp crushed poori or crackers too. All the chutneys and other ingredients are added as per taste.
Serve bhel puri immediately after adding chutneys else it will become soggy. If you are looking for more street food recipes do check mirchi bajji, onion bajji, samosa, veg sandwich, gobi manchurian, fried rice recipes.
How to make bhel puri recipe
1. Take finely chopped tomatoes,onions and coriander leaves in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the boiled and mashed potatoes,puffed rice and mix well.
3. Add sweet chutney,green chutney,cumin powder,chaat masala powder,lemon juice and rock salt. Mix well.
4. Add crushed papdis,sev at the time of serving and mix well. Serve bhel puri immediately.
Mumbai bhel puri recipe card
- 15 papdis crushed
- 2 cups puffed rice
- 1/2 cup sev
- 2 large potatoes boiled peeled and mashed
- 2 large tomatoes chopped fine
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons sweet chutney
- 2 tablespoons green chutney
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- Rock salt
- 1/2 tablespoon spoon lemon juice
- Take finely chopped tomatoes,onions and coriander leaves in a mixing bowl.
- Add the boiled and mashed potatoes,puffed rice and mix well.
- Add sweet chutney,green chutney,cumin powder,chaat masala powder,lemon juice and rock salt. Mix well.
- Add crushed papdis,sev at the time of serving and mix well. Serve bhel puri immediately.
1. What I have given here is a very basic recipe for bhel puri,there are so many additions made to this and differs from place to place,think sprouts,carrots,raw mangoes etc. As I have said above you can even add peeled and chopped carrots,cucumber,apple to make this more healthy.
2. Add salt with caution as there is salt in papdi and chutneys.
3. Serve the bhel puri immediately after adding papdi and sev,else it will turn soggy
4. I used potato sev in this recipe as I didn't have normal sev