Bhel puri chaat recipe is a popular Indian street food made with puffed rice, papdi, chutneys and raw veggies. If you love sweet and spicy recipes with a zing this behl puri will surely please you. To make bhel puri at home follow the step by step recipes with photos below.
What Is Bhel Puri?
Bhel puri is a popular Indian street food often eaten as snack. It has various bits of edible goodies like puffed rice, crispy pooris or papdi,raw onions, cilantro leaves, tomatoes and everything is coated with spicy green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney.
While you cannot pinpoint the taste of bhel puri as sweet or spicy, it is a mix of various tastes and textures that will please your taste buds.
There are two types of bhel puri you will find in Indian streets. One is the classic bhel puri as shared here and another is sukha bhel or dry bhel without chutneys.
Chaats are a very popular category in Indian cuisine. Small makeshift carts that sell various chaats and street foods like pani puri, bhel puri, sev puri, ragda, pav bhaji are very popular across Indian streets.
Along with all the chaat recipes bhel puri is also loved across India. Every state or region may have a slightly different preparation but the core taste remains the same.
With this recipe of bhel puri shared here you will be able to make a very delicious street style bhel puri that is colorful and mouthful.
Ingredients Of Bhel Puri Chaat.
The essential ingredients for making wet bhel puri are plain sev, puffed rice and crushed papdi. Next we add veggies like mashed potatoes, finely chopped onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves.
Finally add green chutney, sweet chutney and serve immediately.
If you don’t have sweet chutney or green chutney you can serve bhel dry or else just add tomato sauce and serve.
Serve bhel puri immediately as soon as you assemble it. You can have all the ingredients ready and just mix before serving.
you might also like
How To Make Bhel Puri Recipe Step by Step
1. Take finely chopped tomatoes,onions and coriander leaves in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the boiled and mashed potatoes,puffed rice and mix well.
3. Add sweet chutney,green chutney,cumin powder,chaat masala powder,lemon juice and rock salt. Mix well.
4. Add crushed papdis, sev at the time of serving and mix well. Serve bhel puri immediately.
Bhel Puri Recipe
- 15 papdis crushed
- 2 cups puffed rice
- 1/2 cup sev
- 2 large potatoes boiled peeled and mashed
- 2 large tomatoes chopped fine
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons sweet chutney
- 2 tablespoons green chutney
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- Rock salt
- 1/2 tablespoon spoon lemon juice
- Take finely chopped tomatoes,onions and coriander leaves in a mixing bowl.
- Add the boiled and mashed potatoes,puffed rice and mix well.
- Add sweet chutney,green chutney,cumin powder,chaat masala powder,lemon juice and rock salt. Mix well.
- Add crushed papdis,sev at the time of serving and mix well. Serve bhel puri immediately.
1. What I have given here is a very basic recipe for bhel puri,there are so many additions made to this and differs from place to place,think sprouts,carrots,raw mangoes etc. As I have said above you can even add peeled and chopped carrots,cucumber,apple to make this more healthy.
2. Add salt with caution as there is salt in papdi and chutneys.
3. Serve the bhel puri immediately after adding papdi and sev,else it will turn soggy
4. I used potato sev in this recipe as I didn't have normal sev