Last updated on July 5th, 2018
Kurkuri bhindi recipe– feather light and crispy okra fry is a popular snack or side dish from Punjab. This crispy okra fry goes very well as side dish with dal fry and dal tadka. This tasty snack can be prepared in minutes with this easy recipe. Here is an easy step by step bhindi kurkuri recipe for you to try!
What Is Kurkuri Bhindi?
Kurkuri means crispy in Hindi. So kurkuri bhindi just translates to crispy okra. The crispiness comes from gram flour or chickpea flour.
We love this bhindi fry as snack with tea. While serving as snack you can serve with some lemon wedges. This crispy okra fry also goes well as side dish with dal and rice. You can also wrap this bhindi fry in roti.
For making the recipe of kurkuri bhindi select fresh and tender okra. Wash and pat dry the okras. Slice okra lengthwise. Mix all the other ingredients and gently toss the okra. Next you can deep fry or shallow fry the okras.
Few more options would be to bake them or microwave them.
How To Make Kurkuri Bhindi in Oven?
Prepare the bhindi-flour mixture as mentioned in the recipe. Arrange them in a single layer in a large greased baking tray. Also give a quick spray of oil over the arranged okras. Now bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes at 180C. Remove, flip the okras and bake for 5 more minutes. They should be crisp and golden.
Kurukuri Bhindi In Air Fryer
You can make this crispy bhindi fry in air fryer with a fraction of oil. I have tried the same with good results. To make this crispy bhindi in air-fryer, first of all preheat your air fryer at 170C for 5 minutes.
Grease the air fryer basket with few drops of oil. Arrange the bhindi mixture and air fry for 10 minutes. Gently toss the bhindi and air fry for 5 more minutes. When the okras look crispy and golden, remove and serve.
How To Make Bhindi Kurkuri in Microwave.
I got this tip from my friend who tried to microwave this bhindi fry. So I am adding it here if you want try it out.
Prepare the bhindi flour mixture as in the recipe. Take it in a microwave safe bowl or plate. Give a quick spray of oil. Microwave for 7 minutes in high. Remove, mix and microwave for 2 more minutes if needed.
Tips For Making Best Bhindi Kurkuri Recipe:
- Make sure to slice the okra as thinly as possible. Also removing the inner pith and seeds reduces the slime and makes the okra more crispy.
- The oil should be hot for frying okra. If the oil is not hot the bhindi will turn soggy by absorbing more oil.
- Do not add much water while preparing the bhindi mixture. Just mix them well and set aside for 5 minutes. before frying.
More Okra Recipes:
Okra known as ladies finger is excellent source of nutrients and one of the most widely used veggie across the world. The Indian cuisine boasts of so many okra recipes. Few delicious bhindi or vendakkai recipes you might like are
How To Make Kurkuri Bhindi Recipe Step by Step
1. Wash, pat dry and cut the okra into thin lengthy slices. Keep it either whole or slit into half.
2. Take rice and gram flour in a mixing bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon oil and mix well.
3. Add the cut okras.
4. Next add salt, chilli powder, chaat masala powder. Toss very well. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
5. Heat oil for deep frying. Deep fry the spice coated okra until dark brown from all the sides.
6. Serve crispy bhindi fry with rice or serve as snack.
Bhindi fry recipe card below:
Punjabo kurkuri bhindi recipe is a delicious deep fried okra snack made with Indian spices and chickpea flour. tastes wonderful as snack or side dish!
- 15-20 tender and fresh okra/bhindi
- 4 tablespoons rice flour
- 4 tablespoons gram flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chaat masala powder
- 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash, pat dry and cut the okra into thin lengthy slices. Keep it either whole or slit into half.
- Take rice and gram flour in a mixing bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon oil and mix well.
- Add the cut okras.
- Add salt, chilli powder, chaat masala powder. Toss very well. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Deep fry the spice coated okra until dark brown from all the sides.
- Serve crispy bhindi fry with rice or serve as snack.
1.Do not add water to the flour, the okra will leave out juice and that is enough to bind the flour-spice mixture.
2.You can sprinkle some amchur powder while serving.
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou.