Last updated on February 7th, 2019
Cabbage poriyal recipe with video and step by step photos. A quick and easy south Indian stir fried cabbage recipe with freshly grated coconut. This simple cabbage poriyal is our favorite staple at our home and goes best with rice and sambar!
Poriyal roughly translates to Indian stir fry with less or no water. Poriyal recipes are an everyday affair at all south Indian homes. We make poriyal with varieties of vegetables especially to serve with sambar and rice. I have added poriyal recipes like cauliflower poriyal, carrot poriyal, okra poriyal, potato poriyal recipes here.
This cabbage poriyal is easy and really tasty one. I often make this especially when I spot fresh and tender organic cabbage in market. Last week I bought very fresh and tender cabbage and I also had some green peas in hand. So cabbage poriyal it was to serve with ash gourd sambar.
There are many ways to make cabbage poriyal recipe. The one I have shared here is a typical tambram recipe without onion and garlic. Furthermore this is a gluten free and vegan recipe too.
While making this cabbage poriyal I always add a handful of fresh green peas especially if it is in season. Adding green peas to cabbage recipe gives a nice texture and also makes it vibrant.
This is seriously the best cabbage poriyal recipe with minimum ingredients.
Serve cabbage poriyal hot with sambar rice or rasam rice for best comforting meal.
Cabbage Poriyal Without Coconut
To make cabbage poriyal without coconut just leave out the coconut at the end following the same recipe. However you may have to increase the amount of chopped cabbage by another half cup as you are not adding coconut.
How To Clean Cabbage
It is very important to clean the cabbage leaves thoroughly before adding in any dish. Cabbage, like caulfilower might contain small worms and they have to be removed before cooking.
For any cabbage recipe that requires fine chopping I follow the below method:
First of all cut cabbage into quarters. Remove the top most leaves and discard. Also discard the thick stem and core.
Now rinse the cabbage pieces really well. Add to a pot of rapidly boiling water with crystal salt. Switch off the flame and let the cabbage pieces sit in the water for 2 minutes.
Drain and rinse under cold running water. Gently rub with a kitchen towel and chop finely.
In this poriyal recipe you can make some variations as listed below:
Cabbage Poriyal Recipe Variations
You can finely chopped onions in this recipe. Also you can add crushed garlic cloves
Along with cabbage and green peas you can add chopped carrots to make congress poriyal.
In this recipe I have not used any spice powders except turmeric powder. Turmeric powder balances the strong flavor of cabbage. I also add a green chili for the same reason. furthermore you can even add chili powder.
Finally adding grated coconut literally lifts the taste of this poriyal but you can skip it too if you prefer.
Serve cabbage poriyal hot with rice and sambar.
More cabbage recipes:
How to make cabbage poriyal recipe:
1. First of all clean and chop the cabbage as mentioned above.
2. Heat 2 teaspoon oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal. Also add turmeric powder, slit green chili and dried red chilies. Saute well for a minute.
3. Once the tempering is done add blanched green peas and saute.
4. Now add chopped cabbage and saute well. Saute in high flame for 3-4 minutes.
5. Season with salt. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. At this stage you can add a splash of water if your cabbage is not tender. Mine was very fresh and tender and did not require any water.
6. Finally add freshly grated coconut and mix well. Serve hot.
Cabbage Poriyal Recipe
Cabbage poriyal recipe- South Indian style gluten free vegan cabbage stir fry with freshly grated coconut.
- 2.5 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup blanched green peas
- 3/4 cup grated coconut fresh
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon chana dal
- 1 green chili optional
- 1 dried red chili
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- First of all clean and chop the cabbage as mentioned above.
- Heat 2 teaspoon oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal. Also add turmeric powder, slit green chili and dried red chilies. Saute well for a minute.
Once the tempering is done add blanched green peas and saute.
- Now add chopped cabbage and saute well. Saute in high flame for 3-4 minutes.
Season with salt. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. At this stage you can add a splash of water if your cabbage is not tender. Mine was very fresh and tender and did not require any water.
- Finally add freshly grated coconut and mix well. Serve hot.
Are you making this recipe? Do snap a pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #cookclickndevou. Do leave a ⋆ rating along with your feedback!