Last updated on November 12th, 2018
Corn pulao recipe is a simple, delicious and easy one pot rice recipe for lunch box. You can make this easy sweet corn rice wit minimum seasoning so it is suitable for toddlers and kids too. You can quickly pack this wit some chips or salad for a complete filling meal. Here is you can make simple corn rice with step by step photos.
Are you looking for some easy rice recipes that you can make in a jiffy? Then this sweet corn rice recipe is your best bet. You just need a handful of pantry staple ingredients along with sweet corn to make this easy corn pulao.
This is a delicately spiced mild rice with sublime sweetness from corn kernels, so toddlers and kids will enjoy this rice with some raita or plain curd.
I have been getting requests for everyday rice recipes and this corn rice is easy one that I make often. Since it is easy to make in a pressure cooker and does not involve much chopping, this is my go to easy rice recipe.
You can totally play with the spices and seasonings in this recipe. I have made this in the lines of jeera rice, very mildly spiced.
Sometimes when I make a spicy corn pulao with a green chili- mint paste. I ave given brief instructions for the same below. You can make this spicy corn rice when you have guests also.
Also you can use Indian desi corn in this recipe instead of sweet corn. During winters I make this corn rice only wit desi corn as we like tat very much.
Serve corn pulao warm with raita. You can also pack the cooled corn rice in tiffin for toddlers and kids.
How To Make Masala Corn Rice or Spicy Corn Pulao?
To make spicy corn pulao first we need to make a spice paste with onions, green chilies, mint and cilantro leaves. I also add a small piece of ginger in this masala. Just blend 1 medium onion, 3 green chilies, 1/2 cup mint leaves, 1/2 cup coriander leaves, 1/2 inch ginger and 3 garlic cloves if you like into smooth paste.
Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker base. Add the whole spices and saute well followed by chopped onions. Next add the spice paste and saute till the raw smell goes off. Now add the corn kernels and raw rice. Mix well. Add water, salt and pressure cook until done.
Some Tips For Making Best Corn Rice
Use good quality rice for making this corn pulao. You can use basmati rice or even regular raw rice.
First of all soak the rice in water for 20 minutes and drain well on a plate. Spread and dry for 10 minutes before using in the recipe.
I have used whole spices in this corn pulao recipe, adding whole spices lend a nice aroma to the pulao. I have used just sweet corn kernels, if you wish you can also add some baby corns in this recipe. This corn pulao will be excellent when packed in toddlers and kids tiffin, sweet corn is their favorite and this pulao which is very mildly spiced will be very well received.
To make corn pulao recipe or be it any pulao I suggest you soak the basmati rice for at least 30 minutes and drain well and spread it on a plate for 5 minutes. If you feel it as extra work, trust me it is so worth it. Basmati rice cooked this way is way better!
Here is easy corn pulao recipe, do try out when sweet corn is in season!
Corn pulao recipe with step by step photos.
1. Soak basmati rice for 30 minutes, drain and spread on a plate till using.
2. Heat 4 teaspoons oil in a pressure cooker or pan. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add whole spices (cardamom,bay leaf, cloves and fennel seeds) and saute well. Add crushed ginger-garlic and slit green chilies. Saute well for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add finely chopped onions and saute well till the color changes slightly.
4. Add the sweet corn kernels and mix well.
5. Add drained rice and mix well. Saute till the moisture in rice is absorbed.
6. Add 2 1/2 cups water, salt and let the water come to rolling boil.
7. Close the pressure cooker and cook for up to 3 whistles. Once the pressure is released, open the cooker and mix gently. Serve corn pulao hot with any spicy curry and raita.
Corn pulao recipe card below:
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3/4 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic crushed
- 2 green chilies slit
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Whole spices:
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamoms
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Soak basmati rice for 30 minutes, drain and spread on a plate till using.
- Heat 4 teaspoons oil in a pressure cooker or pan. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add whole spices (cardamom,bay leaf, cloves and fennel seeds) and saute well. Add crushed ginger-garlic and slit green chilies. Saute well for 3-4 minutes.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute well till the color changes slightly.
- Add the sweet corn kernels and mix well.
- Add drained rice and mix well. Saute till the moisture in rice is absorbed.
- Add 2 1/2 cups water, salt and let the water come to rolling boil.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook for up to 3 whistles. Once the pressure is released, open the cooker and mix gently. Serve corn pulao hot with any spicy curry and raita.
1. If you wish you can cut baby corns
2. To make spicy pulao add 1/2 teaspoon chili powder while sauteing sweet corns.