This soft, moist and spongy vegan chocolate cake is also known as wacky cake or depression cake. It is vegan and a one bowl cake especially made with all pantry staples. This quick and simple cake has no butter, eggs, curd or milk. Tastes wonderful on its own without any frosting!
I like to bake quick and easy cakes that do not require much time or uncommon ingredients. The ingredients used in this chocolate cake are simplest. Flour, oil, sugar and water are the main ingredients in this cake. I have used wheat flour here.This vegan chocolate cake was really popular during world war II because there was ration on all the basic ingredients. This chocolate cake was developed without eggs, butter and milk. All the easily available ingredients were used to make this cake. In addition to that the time needed for making depression cake is also less
This Chocolate Cake Recipe
Is super simple to make & quick
One bowl recipe
moist, soft almost like brownies
This vegan chocolate recipe is the quickest and easiest cake recipe. This is a one bowl cake, in fact you can almost whip up the cake batter in the baking pan itself.
This cake is very soft, almost crumbly and very moist. The texture of this chocolate cake is similar to brownie. The taste depends purely on ingredients. Therefore use best of the ingredients for best vegan chocolate cake.
I have made cake many times and below are some variations that worked well with me and my friends who tried this recipe. The basic recipe is from a old magazine.
Variations With The Recipe
- Can wheat flour be used instead of maida?- Yes, You can use either whole wheat flour or plain flour or combination of both in this recipe. If using whole wheat flour the batter will be a bit more thick and cake will be a bit denser.
- I have made this cake with 1/4 cup melted butter instead of oil. The cake turned out fine but it was a bit dry. Therefore use oil if you want a very moist cake or you plan to store the cake in refrigerator.
- If you plan to make egg less chocolate cake for special occasions you can frost the cake with your favorite frosting.
Further more I am listing some tips that are useful when baking any cake as such.
Tips For Making Best vegan Chocolate Cake.
- baking powder and baking soda are not interchangeable in a recipe. In this depression cake recipe baking soda reacts with vinegar and it is an important ingredient.
- use best quality baking soda. If the baking soda is not of top quality as a result there will be a strong after taste in the cake.
- You can use lemon juice instead of vinegar. I have used apple cider vinegar in this recipe that lends a nice flavor.
- Use good quality neutral oil in this recipe. I have used extra light olive oil here.
- to get neat squares of cake use a sharp knife and cut in one swift motion.
- Let the cake cool thoroughly before you cut.
- If you plan to frost the cake make sure it is at room temperature. You can even make the cake a day before and do frosting next day.
- This is an oil based cake so it stays soft even after refrigeration. However you can slightly warm the cake before serving if it is not frosted. Furthermore the cake tastes delicious on its own.
More eggless cake recipes you might like
How To Make Vegan Chocolate Cake
1. Preheat oven at 180C. Prepare a 8″ or 9″ cake tin by creasing with oil and dusting with flour.
2. Add 1 cup water into a mixing bowl. To that add 1 cup sugar. I have used castor sugar here. You can any type of powdered sugar. Mix well to dissolve the sugar.
3. Add 1/4 cup oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
Mix the wet ingredients thoroughly.
4. Sieve wheat flour, plain flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda over the wet ingredients. Fold and mix.
5. Pour the prepared batter into the greased and dusted tin. Tap once or twice.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes depending up on your oven. The cake is done when the top cracks a bit and a tester comes out with very few crumbs.
7. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Then invert and cool in a wire rack till it reaches room temperature.
8. Finally You can dust with sugar or cocoa powder if needed.
9. Cut the cooled cake into squares and serve as snack or dessert.
I hope you will try this recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Eggless Chocolate Cake Recipe (Wacky Cake)
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 1 cup water cold
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven at 180C. Prepare a 8" or 9" cake tin by creasing with oil and dusting with flour.
- Add 1 cup water into a mixing bowl. To that add 1 cup sugar. I have sued castor sugar here. You can any type of powdered sugar. Mix well to dissolve the sugar.
- Add 1/4 cup oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Mix the wet ingredients thoroughly.
- Sieve wheat flour, plain flour, salt and baking soda over the wet ingredients. Fold and mix.
- Pour the prepared batter into the greased and dusted tin. Tap once or twice.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes depending up on your oven. The cake is done when the top cracks a bit and a tester comes out with very few crumbs.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Then invert and cool in a wire rack till it reaches room temperature.
- You can dust with sugar or cocoa powder if needed.
- Cut the cooled cake into squares and serve as snack or dessert.
- You can use a mix of wheat flour and plain flour in this recipe
- Use good quality light olive oil or any neutral oil.