Jigarthanda recipe with step by step photos. Easy recipe to prepare Madurai special dessert drink jigarthanda. Healthy and delicious drink that is just perfect for hottest south Indian summers 🙂
Jil jil Jigarthanda is a very popular cooling drink from Madurai. Jigar means heart and thanda means cold. Since the drink is very cooling and healthy may be it is named as something which cools the heart. While there are some discussions stating jigarthanda is similar to falooda however these both entirely different dessert drinks.
I have tasted jigarthanda from Murugan idli kadai in Chennai and I kind of liked it. I did not fall for it though as I am not a big fan of nannari sharbat, main ingredient in jigarthanda recipe. I got many requests for jil jil jigarthanda recipe and with summer at its peak there was no excuse but to make jigarthanda at home :).
Making jigarthanda recipe is easy but a bit time consuming. While the recipe is very straight forward and as simple as boiling the milk and mixing in some ingredients yet it takes some time.
Main ingredients for preparing jigarthanda:
- Badam pisisn or almond bark gum is the first important ingredient for making jigathanda. It is an excellent body coolant and reduces the body heat. Furthermore you can use badam pisin in sharbath, gond ladoo recipes too. Please note that badam pisin cannot be substituted with china grass
- Nannari syrup: Nannari syrup also known sarsaparilla syrup is a commonly used summer coolant across India. This is a main ingredient in making jigarthanda also. While there are many recipes with rose syrup authentic jigarthanda is made with nannari syrup only.
- Bhai ice cream: A special ice cream made with reduce milk especially for jigarthanda. While this can be made at home easily it does take some time. You can easily use vanilla ice cream also. I used homemade pista ice cream.
- Reduced milk: This is prepared by simmering milk for sometime.
I prepared jigarthanda with homemade ice cream and ready made nannari syrup. It was a super hit and I also enjoyed it by adding less nannari syrup in my glass 🙂
Keep all the components ready and assemble just before serving. Once assembled serve jigarthanda immediately.
More summer drinks recipes:
mango falooda, strawberry fool, fruit custard, paan kulfi recipes
How to make jigarthanda recipe
1. First of all soak badam pisin in water for 4-8 hours.
2. Boil 2 cups milk in a wide pan. In a separate pan add 3 tabespoons sugar and stir in low flame till it turns into light caramel. Add this to the boiling milk and mix well. keep scrapping the walls of the pan and reduce the milk to 1 cup. Chill until use.
3. Next boil 2 cups of milk with 2-3 tablespoons sugar and chill that too.
4. keep ice cream, nannari syrup, soaked badam pisin ready.
5. To assemble jigarthanda take a serving glass. Pour some nannari syrup.
6. Place a generous portion of badam pisin.
7. Then pour some reduced milk, chilled milk and more syrup if needed. Top with ice cream and serve immediately.
Jigarthanda recipe card below:
Jigarthanda recipe | Jil jil jigarthanda Madurai special recipe
- To make reduced milk
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- For chilled milk
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- To assemble jigarthanda
- 3 teaspoons badam pisin
- Nannari syrup as needed
- Ice cream as needed
- Soak badam pisin in water for 4-8 hours.
- Boil 2 cups milk in a wide pan. In a separate pan add 3 tablespoons sugar and stir in low flame till it turns into light caramel. Add this to the boiling milk and mix well. keep scrapping the walls of the pan and reduce the milk to 1 cup. Chill until use.
- Boil 2 cups of milk with 2-3 tablespoons sugar and chill that too.
- keep ice cream, nannari syrup, soaked badam pisin ready.
- To assemble jigarthanda take a serving glass. Pour some nannari syrup.
- Place a generous portion of badam pisin.
- Pour some reduced milk, chilled milk and more syrup if needed. Top with ice cream and serve immediately.
2. China grass and rose syrup are not substitutes for badam pisin and nannari syrup.
3. You can keep badam pisin, reduced milk and ice cream ready and make jigarthanda in a jiffy by just boiling and cooling milk.