Last updated on June 17th, 2019
Kara kuzhambu recipe with step by step photos. Spicy, tangy and delicious easy no grind kara kuzhambu recipe with pearl onions. Easy kuzhambu recipes are always on demand as we make kuzhambu or sambar on every day basis. This kara kuzhambu recipe is a treat for spicy tangy food lovers. Tastes excellent with steamed rice and kootu. Kuzhambu is basically a tamarind based gravy made without dal. it is the first course or second course in Tamil meals along with fresh steamed rice.
Kara kuzhambu is a typical Tamil nadu specaial recipe. There are many variations in this kara kuzhambu recipe. There is a chettinad style kara kuzhambu with a fresh masala paste. There is also one more version with coconut. Today i am sharing a simple recipe without any grinding. The literal translation of kara kuzhambu is spicy gravy. So this is a tangy spicy tamarind based gravy with loads of pearl onions or small onions.
To make kara kuzhambu you can use brinjal, drumstick etc, but small onions in this spicy gravy takes the dish to a whole new level. This gravy keeps well for 2 days at room temperature. Make it to a thick consistency and top with gingely oil generously.
Serve kara kuzhambu hot with rice, a mild kootu.
How to make kara kuzhambu recipe with step by step photos.
heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Temper with all the ingredients mentioned under to temper.
Add pearl onions and saute for 2 minutes.
Add chopped tomatoes and saute well. Add the spice powders and saute till the raw smell goes off.
Add tamarind paste and mix. Add 2 cups water and bring to a rolling boil.
Season with salt. Add jaggery and simmer till the kuzhambu thickens.
Add 2 tablespoons sesame oil and remove from stove. Serve hot with rice.
Kara kuzhambu recipe card below:
kara kuzhambu recipe | How to make easy kara kuzhambu without grinding
- 1 1/2 cups pearl onions peeled and washed
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamarind extract
- 2 tablespoons sambar powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon grated jaggery
- sesame oil
- To temper:
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon channa dal
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon methi seeds
- 2-3 dried red chilies
- 15 curry leaves
- heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Temper with all the ingredients mentioned under to temper.
- Add pearl onions and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well. Add the spice powders and saute till the raw smell goes off
- Add tamarind paste and mix. Add 2 cups water and bring to a rolling boil.
- Season with salt. Add jaggery and simmer till the kuzhambu thickens.
- Add 2 tablespoons sesame oil and remove from stove. Serve hot with rice.