This Indian mango chutney is delicious, easy and flavorful side dish for rice, idli or dosa. You can ake and enjoy this chutney with mangoes in no time when they are in season. For this chutney with raw mangoes you just need a handful of ingredients and 10 minutes time. Check out the easy step by step recipe.
The love for mangoes is huge across the country. Along with ripe mangoes we use raw mangoes or kacha aam in many recipes like mango rice, raw mango pickle, aam panna. This raw mango chutney is a very popular and tasty south Indian side dish for idli or dosa. We also serve this with rice.
There is one more popular mango chutney from north India that is sweet and spicy. The preparation for that is different from this.
This Mango Chutney Recipe
Is vegan, gluten free, wholesome
easy to make with simple ingredients
Flavorful and delicious
Versatile side dish for idli, dosa, rice.
To make this chutney I have used fresh grated coconut along with raw mangoes. Adding coconut balances the flavor and adds texture to this chutney.
I used semi ripe mango for this chutney, so this is not overly tangy. There are so many recipes with mango from south India and this mango chutney is one tasty addition to the list.
While this chutney is often served as side dish along with dosa or idli, I personally like to eat this chutney with freshly steamed rice along with sesame oil and fried papad or vadam. This rice tastes good even after cooling, so you pack rice mixed mango chutney for lunch also. In fact the taste increases with time.
Apart from raw mango, the other ingredients needed for this chutney are freshly grated coconut, gram dal,urad dal, dried chili, asafoetida and curry leaves. I have also seen mango chutney recipes with different ingredients such as fenugreek seeds, garlic but I have not tried then yet.
You can also make this chutney without coconut, just increase the amount of dals and mango. Same way if you are making chutney with very sour mango be sure to increase the amount of grated coconut to balance the taste.
How To Make Mango Chutney Recipe
1. Grate the coconut, peel and chop the raw mango into cubes after removing the stone.
2. Heat 4 teaspoon sesame oil in a kadai. Add gram dal and urad dal. Fry till the dals turn golden brown. Remove the fried dals to a plate.
3. In the same oil fry asafoetida and dried red chilies in low flame till chilies slightly change in color. Remove to a plate along with fried dals.
4. Grind the fried ingredients along with grated coconut and chopped mangoes. Add very little water and grind to a coarse paste first.
5. Add salt and grind again. you can grind to a smooth consistency or coarse as you like.
6. In a small kadai heat 2 teaspoons oil. Temper with half teaspoon mustard seeds, 6-7 curry leaves and 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida. Add the tempering along with the oil to the chutney. Mix well. Serve mango chutney with idli/dosa/steamed rice.
I hope you will try this fresh mango chutney recipe and enjoy as much as we did.
Mango Chutney Recipe
Mango chutney recipe | Easy mango recipes
- 1 large raw mango peeled, stone removed and cubed.
- 3/4 cup freshly grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons gram dal
- 2 tablespoons urad dal
- 4-6 dried red chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- For tempering:
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Keep the grated coconut and chopped mangoes ready.
- Heat 4 teaspoons oil in a kadai and fry gram and urad dal until golden brown. Remove to a plate.
- In the same kadai fry asafoetida and dried chilies. Allow this to cool along with fried dals. Grind along with grated coconut and mangoes. Add salt while grinding.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small kadai and make a tempering of mustard seeds,asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the tempering along with oil to the chutney.
- Mix well and serve mango chutney with idli/dosa/steamed rice.
2. Adjust the amount of coconut according to the taste of mango.
3.You can add a bit of jaggery of the mango is very sour.