Mango chutney recipe, sharing an easy chutney recipe with mangoes that can be served as side dish for idli, dosa or with steamed rice too.
There are many types of mango chutney made across the country- spicy,sweet etc. The mango chutney recipe I am sharing today is from south India. This chutney is spicy, tangy and has a nice texture that comes from fresh grated coconut. You make chutney with raw mango, ripened mango or even with semi ripe mango.
I used semi ripe mango for this chutney, so this is not overly tangy. There are so many recipes with mango from south India and this mango chutney is one tasty addition to the list.
While this chutney is often served as side dish along with dosa or idli, I personally like to eat this chutney with freshly steamed rice along with sesame oil and fried papad or vadam. This rice tastes good even after cooling, so you pack rice mixed mango chutney for lunch also. In fact the taste increases with time.
Ingredients For Indian Mango Chutney
Apart from raw mango, the other ingredients needed for this chutney are freshly grated coconut, gram dal,urad dal, dried chili, asafoetida and curry leaves. I have also seen mango chutney recipes with different ingredients such as fenugreek seeds, garlic but I have not tried then yet.
You can also make this chutney without coconut, just increase the amount of dals and mango. Same way if you are making chutney with very sour mango be sure to increase the amount of grated coconut to balance the taste.
How To Make Mango Chutney Recipe Step by Step
1. Grate the coconut, peel and chop the raw mango into cubes after removing the stone.
2. Heat 4 teaspoon sesame oil in a kadai. Add gram dal and urad dal. Fry till the dals turn golden brown. Remove the fried dals to a plate.
3. In the same oil fry asafoetida and dried red chilies in low flame till chilies slightly change in color. Remove to a plate along with fried dals.
4. Grind the fried ingredients along with grated coconut and chopped mangoes. Add very little water and grind to a coarse paste first.
5. Add salt and grind again. you can grind to a smooth consistency or coarse as you like.
6. In a small kadai heat 2 teaspoons oil. Temper with half teaspoon mustard seeds, 6-7 curry leaves and 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida. Add the tempering along with the oil to the chutney. Mix well. Serve mango chutney with idli/dosa/steamed rice.
Mango Chutney Recipe
- 1 large raw mango peeled, stone removed and cubed.
- 3/4 cup freshly grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons gram dal
- 2 tablespoons urad dal
- 4-6 dried red chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- For tempering:
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Keep the grated coconut and chopped mangoes ready.
- Heat 4 teaspoons oil in a kadai and fry gram and urad dal until golden brown. Remove to a plate.
- In the same kadai fry asafoetida and dried chilies. Allow this to cool along with fried dals. Grind along with grated coconut and mangoes. Add salt while grinding.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small kadai and make a tempering of mustard seeds,asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the tempering along with oil to the chutney.
- Mix well and serve mango chutney with idli/dosa/steamed rice.
1. Use sesame oil for authentic taste and flavor.
2. Adjust the amount of coconut according to the taste of mango.
3.You can add a bit of jaggery of the mango is very sour.