Moong dal chilla recipe– easy and quick north Indian breakfast recipe made with whole green gram or moong dal.
Moong dal cheela or puda is especially an excellent dish for kids lunchbox also. You can sneak in loads of vegetables and it tastes so good on its own or with any chutney. Vegan and gluten free.
Chilla or cheela are Indian savory pancakes or crepes. There are so many varieties in chilla recipes.
Few popular ones that I often make at home are this moong dal puda, rava chilla, besan chilla etc.
Moong dal chilla is a favorite breakfast at our home. I have whole green gram handy always as it is very quick and easy to cook with. Furthermore moong dal is very healthy and nutritious especially for kids.
With whole green I make moong dal cheela, mixed dal dosa and also dal fry. You can also make sprouts sandwich, sprouts pulao, kurma etc with sprouted moong or bean sprouts.
Chilla recipes are a good option for breakfast. Apart from this moong dal chilla I also prepare besan chilla, aloo chilla, rava chilla recipes.
It is easy to make moong dal chilla The batter comes together very quickly. All you need to make this recipe is soaked moong dal. If you have it ready you can make this chilla in no time.
I usually soak whole moong once in 3 days and I use it for sprouting. These days I often make this moong dal cheela too.
Moong dal is one of the healthiest legume. It is packed with protein, low glycemic index and they satiate you for long time.
I like to make this chilla at bit thick with super crispy edges. As we are adding loads of vegetables, making thin crepes is a bit difficult.
These puda tastes good on their own. You can also serve these with pickle or chutney. Kids will love this with a dash of butter.
This Moong Dal Chilla Is
Healthy, wholesome and filling
protein packed breakfast or snack
delicious with crispy edges
packed with veggies
vegan and gluten free
best breakfast for kids
Green moong dal or sabut moong– The whole green gram also known as mung bean is used in this recipe. Instead of whole green gram you can also use split moong dal too. The recipe is same.
Rice flour– you will need a small amount of rice flour in this recipe to make the chilla super crispy. You can leave it out or substitute with chickpea flour or corn flour
Salt- to taste.
Vegetables– grated carrots, onions, bell peppers add nice flavor, color and nutrition to this chilla.
Ginger– for flavor, you can also add few cloves of garlic too.
To make moong dal chilla veggies are optional. I like to add some vegetables to make this chilla more healthy. You can make them thin or thick as you like. I make it thick with crispy edges. You can use oil or ghee for frying the chillas.
To make thin and soft moong dal cheela just grind the batter very smooth first of all. Then add water to the batter and mix well. Make thin soft cheelas.
Serve moong dal chilla with curd or pickle or chutney. You can also pack this in kid lunchbox. We like to have these cheelas with finely chopped raw onions.
Step By Step Method
1. Soak the whole moong dal in plenty of water for 6-8 hours. Drain thoroughly and grind to a coarse paste without adding water.
2. Take the ground dal in a bowl and add grated carrots,chopped bell pepper,sliced onions,grated ginger,chopped green chilli,salt and rice flour. Mix well.
3. Add 1/2 -3/4 cup water and mix well.
4. Heat a tava and take a ladle full of batter and spread into a thick small circle. Add oil generously to the sides and also in the center by making a dent.
5. Cook on medium flame for 4-5 minutes till the chilla becomes golden and crispy in the edges.
6. Serve moong dal chilla hot with chutney,pickle or sauce. I love to serve this with tomato pickle.
More Breakfast Recipes:
Moong Dal Chilla Recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
- 3/4 cup green gram sabut moong/ pachai payaru
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1 carrot peeled and grated
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped fine
- 2 green chillies chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- Soak the whole moong dal in plenty of water for 6-8 hours. Drain thoroughly and grind to a coarse paste without adding water.
- Take the ground dal in a bowl and add grated carrots,chopped bell pepper,sliced onions,grated ginger,chopped green chilli,salt and rice flour. Mix well.
- Add 1/2 -3/4 cup water and mix well.
- Heat a tava and take a ladle full of batter and spread into a thick small circle. Add oil generously to the sides and also in the center by making a dent.
- Cook on medium flame for 4-5 minutes till the chilla becomes golden and crispy in the edges.
- Serve moong dal chilla hot with chutney,pickle or sauce. I love to serve this with tomato pickle.
2. You can add corn flour instead of rice four.