Namak pare or namak para is a crispy and delicious Punjabi snack perfect with adrak chai. This crispy snack is a top favorite during festivals like Diwali, Holi, karwa chauth. With this easy recipe in hand you can make perfect crispy namak pare at home. Read on to learn more!
Crispy and flavorful namak pare is an all time favorite Indian snack to go woth tea. I love spicy namak para with my maslal chai especially during cold days. I made these recently and tried them in tow ways.
- baked namak para
- fried namak para
You can choose whichever way suits you and prepare this yummy snack.
What Is Namak Pare?
Namak pare is a popular Indian snack that is deep fried. A spiced and seasoned flour dough is cut into small squares or diamonds. It is also nimiki in some places. You can make sweet and savory variation in this recipe.
These days baked namak para is getting popular with calorie conscious people. I got some requests for baked namak para and I tried it too with a batch of dough.
Make this 6 ingredients namak pare in bulk and enjoy with your hot cuppa. These snacks keep well for a month and tastes very delicious. Just store in a clean dry airtight jar.
I often make this snack in bulk and store as they come handy for sudden guests, toddlers and kids and for everyone when sudden craving for snack hits.
Serve namak para with tea or coffee for snacks
Namak Pare Ingredients
Traditionally namak pare is made with plain flour. But I use mostly wheat flour to make this snack though. Here I have used both the flour but you easily make namak para with wheat flour alone.
The seasoning for this crispy snack is very simple and mild. Just a dash of pepper, cumin seeds. Instead of cumin you can add ajwain or carom seeds too.
Oil or Ghee
I like to add ghee in the dough for flavor and crispiness. If you are vegan you can add hot oil too. For frying use oil.
How To Make Namak para?
To make namak pare combine flour, salt, pepper cumin seeds in a bowl and mix well. Add hot oil or melted ghee and coat the flour well. Add water little by little and make a tight dough.
Heat oil for deep frying. Roll the dough into thin circle 1/4 inch thickness. ut out small squares or diamonds. Slide in the hot oil and deep fry until crispy and golden. Drain excess oil and store.
How To Make Namak Pare in Oven?
Prepare the dough as mentioned in the recipe. preheat oven to 180C. Cut small diamonds or squares from the dough and arrange on a greased baking tray. Bake in the hot oven for 12-15 minutes. Cool and Store.
Tips For Making Best Namak Pare
For crispy namak para the consistency of dough is the key. It should be smooth,yet tight dough like poori. if the dough is very smooth like phulka, your namak para will become soft and take up more oil.
You can vary the seasoning in this recipe. Add nigella seeds or carom seeds
Fry the namake pare in medium low flame for crispy and flaky ones.
Before storing let them cool thoroughly to room temperature.
You might also like
Here is how to make namak pare recipe with step by step photos.
How To Make Namak Pare Step by Step
1.Take maida, wheat flour, salt, crushed cumin peppercorns, 1 teaspoon butter or oil or ghee in a mixing bowl.
2. Mix well, add water gradually and make a smooth dough. You can add 1/8 teaspoon baking powder to the dough.
3. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. I deep fried one batch and baled the other one.
4. To bake the namak pare preheat oven at 180C. Take one dough ball and roll into circle of 1/4″ thickness. With a knife make small diamonds or squares. Arrange in a non greased baking tray in a single layer. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the color changes slightly. Cool thoroughly and store in airtight container.
5. To deep fry the namak pare, heeat oil in a kadai. Deep fry the prepared squares until golden brown in mediu flame.
6. Store namak pare in airtight container and serve with tea.
Namak pare recipe card below:
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup maida
- 1 teaspoon oil OR butter OR ghee
- 2 teaspoons crushed cumin and peppercorns can reduce for mildly spiced namak para
- Oil for deep fried version
- Take maida, wheat flour, salt, crushed cumin peppercorns, 1 teaspoon butter or oil or ghee in a mixing bowl.
- Mix well, add water gradually and make a smooth dough. You can add 1/8 teaspoon baking powder to the dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. I deep fried one batch and baled the other one.
- To bake the namak pare preheat oven at 180C. Take one dough ball and roll into circle of 1/4" thickness. With a knife make small diamonds or squares. Arrange i a non greased baking tray in a single layer. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the color changes slightly. Cool thoroughly and store in airtight container.
- To deep fry the namak pare, heeat oil in a kadai. Deep fry the prepared squares until golden brown in mediu flame.
- Store namak pare in airtight container and serve with tea.
1. Do not bake for more than 12 minutes. namak pare will crisp upon cooling.
2. While frying make sure to prick the squares with fork to avoid puffing.