Last updated on October 11th, 2019
Peshawari chole recipe is a very delicious and flavorful chole recipe made with white chickpeas. Piping hot pesahwari chole goes very well with bhatura and naan. Here is how you can make the recipe at home with step by step photos.
Chole recipe is a popular Indian curry made with white chickpeas or kabuli chana. This pesahwari chole is a simple chole that you can make in 30 minutes if you have soaked chickpeas handy.
Traditionally in some recipes peshawari chole has minced meat in it. Here in this vegetarian version I have only used chickpeas however you can use soya chunks or paneer for texture.
This is a very very simple recipe that you can make with store bought chole masala powder or even garam masala will do.
This is the best recipe for chole that I have made so far. The authentic recipe for chole calls for teabag or dried amla to get the dark color,but I have not used both here as I did not have them,however I have mentioned in the instructions and you can add it if you have.
Chole bhature is a much loved Indian street food recipe and I often make it at home,this time I replaced the usual Punjabi channa masala recipe with this Peshawari chole recipe and it was an instant hit at home.
This a dry chole recipe compared to the usual one,the perfectly cooked kabuli channa quickly absorbs the masala and turns dry and taste absolutely divine.
This is also the easiest recipe for chole at home, no grinding involved and all you need is dry chole masala powder that you can easily get in shops or make your won too. I am yet to try dry chole masala powder recipe and for now I use everest brand. Do try the popular street food recipe chole bature with this easy recipe 🙂
If you love street foods as much as I do you may these recipes too
How To Make Peshawari Chole Recipe Step by Step
1. Pick,rinse and soak chickpeas/kabuli channa in plenty of water for 8 hours or over night. By the next day chickpeas will be plump and little bit soft.
2. Pressure cook the chickpeas with little salt,cardamom,cinnamon. Here you can add 2-3 tea bags or dried amla to get the dark color and slight tangy taste. I did not add them both though. Once the pressure is released,drain the channa and reserve the stock.
3. While the channa is cooking you can chop the onions,tomatoes and keep the other things ready.Heat a heavy bottomed kadai and add 2-3 tablespoons oil and add ginger garlic, slit green chillies and saute well for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the chopped onions and saute for 5-6 minutes till it turns brown.
5. Next add the finely chopped tomatoes and mix well. Add 1/4 teaspoon sugar and saute till the tomatoes turn mushy.
6. Add the drained kabuli channa and mix well. Add salt,chole masala powder, anar/pomegranate powder and mix well.
7. Add the reserved stock/water and cook in medium flame for 10 minutes till all the water is absorbed. Add garam masala powder,mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes. Serve peshawari chole hot with bhatura. This chole recipe also goes well with pooris.
Peshawari chole recipe card:
Peshawari chole recipe,how to make peshawari chole masala recipe
- 1 cup white chickpeas/kabuli channa
- 2-3 teabags/dried amla
- 1 small stick cinnamon
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 black cardamoms
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 2 large tomatoes chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons chole masala powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- teaspoon dried pomegranate powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2-3 green chillies slit
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger garlic
- Wash,rinse and soak kabuli channa form8 hours or over night. Drain and pressure cook until soft along with little salt,cardamom,cinnamon,cloves and teabags.
- Drain the cooked channa and reserve the stock separately.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add green chillies and ginger-garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions and fry till they turn brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes,sugar and saute till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the cooked channa,salt,chole masala powder and pomegranate powder. Mix well and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the reserved stock and cook in medium flame for 10 minutes or till the stock is absorbed.
- Add garam masala powder and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from flame and serve peshawari chole hot with batura or pooris.
2. You can even puree the tomatoes and use in this recipe.
3. Do add sugar as it enhances the taste.