Veg chow mein is an easy and instant noodles that you will enjoy for dinner or lunch. This is a wonderful noodles recipe with chock full of veggies, a splash of sauce with clean, crisp flavors and way better than takeout.What could be better on a cold evening than a bowl of steaming hot chowmein, right? Here is how you make easy chow mein recipe at home.
What Is Chow Mein?
Chow mein is an Chinese way of making noodles with loads of shredded meat,veggies or sea food.
This veg chow mein noodles recipe is a simple stir fried noodles with loads of veggies and a mix of sauces. However in this recipe I have used very less sauce and increased the amount of veggies relatively.
Chow mein is a good dinner or brunch option for you and your family. In fact this is a wonderful meal option for toddlers and kids. It is no secret that kids love noodles and when you make it at home, that too with veggies it is win-win 🙂
So how about making a delicious noodles that is
- quick and simple
- kid friendly
- nutritious with loads of veggies and wheat noodles
I am sure you will this easy dinner option that you can make in no time. Take a look at the video to see how quickly it gets done.
Serve Veg chow mein piping hot with chili vinegar. You can make it a special meal by making a side of gobi manchurian or baby corn manchurian.
What Veggies Go Well in Veg Chow Mein?
In this vegetable chow mein recipe I have used a mix of veggies.
- baby corn
- bell peppers are our preferred vegetables in stir fried noodles recipe.
Also you can add veggies like brussels sprouts, french beans in this recipe. If you use like mushroom you can also add it in this recipe.
You can easily make this recipe in flat 10 minutes of course once you have chopped vegetables ready. If you have food processor you can use it to quickly chop the vegetables.
Which Noodles Is Best For Chow mein?
To make veg chow mein I have used whole wheat noodles. You can also use
- hakka noodles
- egg noodles
- flat noodles.
As a alternative you can also use rice vermicelli. Furthermore you can vary the quantity of sauces in this recipe.
Tips To Best Chow Mein
As we are cooking in high heat for short time make sure to keep all the ingredients by the side.
Also I prefer to cook and cool the noodles a bit before tossing into the veggies.
Make sure to cook the noodles al dente.
While I have not added soy sauce in this recipe, I have given the quantity for you to add if you prefer.
Serve veg chow mein for dinner or lunch along with some chili vinegar, chili garlic sauce etc.
More noodles recipe:
Veg noodles, chili garlic noodles recipes.
Video recipe of veg chow mein:
How To Make Veg Chow Mein Step by Step
Bring a large pot of water to rolling boil. Add few drops of oil and salt. mix well.
Now add the noodles and cook till al dente. Drain and rinse well under cold running water. Keep covered.
Heat sesame oil in a broad wok or pan. Add chopped onions and saute in high heat for two minutes. You can also fr some garlic at this stage.
Once the onions are slightly cooked add chili flakes and saute.
Next add the thinly sliced veggies and saute in high heat for 4-5 minutes.
Now add salt and pepper powder. Mix well.
Also add the chili tomato sauce and mix well. At this stage you can also add vinegar, soy sauce and hot sauce.
Mix well and cook for two minutes.
Finally add the cooked noodles and toss. Garnish with chopped spring onion greens and serve.
Veg Chow Mein Recipe
Veg Chow mein Noodles Recipe
1 CUP = 250 ml
For cooking noodles
- 200 grams noodles whole wheat OR egg OR hakka
- 6 cups water
- sesame oil few drops
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
for making chow mein noodles
- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- 1 cup carrot finely chopped
- 1 cup cabbage finely chopped
- 1/2 cup baby corn sliced
- 1/2 cup bell peppers sliced
- 2 tablespoons chili tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped spring onion greens
Cooking noodles for chow mein:
- Bring a large pot of water to rolling boil. Add few drops of oil and salt. mix well.
- Now add the noodles and cook till al dente. Drain and rinse well under cold running water. Keep covered.
Making veg chow mein noodles:
- Heat sesame oil in a broad wok or pan. Add chopped onions and saute in high heat for two minutes. You can also fr some garlic at this stage.
- Once the onions are slightly cooked add chili flakes and saute.
- Next add the thinly sliced veggies and saute in high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add salt and pepper powder. Mix well.
- Also add the chili tomato sauce and mix well. At this stage you can also add vinegar, soy sauce and hot sauce.
- Mix well and cook for two minutes.
- Finally add the cooked noodles and toss. Garnish with chopped spring onion greens and serve.
Delicious recipe ..thanks for posting
What is the Chili tomato sauce? Siracha?
Love your quick recipes!
Chili tomato sauce is a common one available in India, you can use any hot sauce like sriracha. Thank you so much for the appreciation.