Last updated on May 23rd, 2019
Gobi matar recipe with video and step by step photos. A quick, homely and healthy sabzi with cauliflower and green peas to go with rice and roti. This easy dry gobi matar is so quick to make vegan, gluten free side dish. Also this gobi curry is no onion garlic recipe.
We love both gobi and matar at our home. So during the season I cook with these two vegetable often. I especially make this dry curry for quick brunch. This is a very easy recipe without onion garlic that you can serve with rice and also rotis.
So What Is Gobi Matar?
Gobi matar is a humble north Indian stir fry or dry curry wit two top favorite winter veggies, cauliflower and fresh green peas. Gobi means cauliflower and matar means fresh peas.
There are a truck load of veggies with gobi and matar in north Indian cuisine and this matar gobi is simplicity at its best. It is amazing how two simple vegetables turn into an exotic and yummy dish in no time.
Making gobi matar is very easy. There are no whole spices or garam masala used in this recipe. I prefer to make dry gobi matar just with some chili powder and a pinch of turmeric powder as it enhances the flavor of green peas and cauliflower a lot.
Of course there are many ways to make gobi matar and I have listed a few variations below.
Variations With Gobi Matar Recipe:
- You can add finely chopped onions in this recipe. Just saute the onions before adding green peas.
- Along with turmeric powder you can add garam masala powder.
- You can add a garnish of kasuri methi towards the end.
How To Make Gobi Matar Gravy?
To make gobi matar gravy here is an brief recipe. First of all blanch cauliflower for 5 minutes in salted water. Next blanch green peas for 2-3 minutes. Next saute the cauliflower until slightly crispy in 2 tablespoons oil. You can use the same oil further in the recipe.
Puree two large tomatoes with 10 whole cashews. Chop an onion finely.
Heat 2 tablespoons butter or oil in a pan. Add a bay leaf, 2 green cardamoms and a small piece of cinnamon. Saute well till they turn fragrant. Add the chopped onions and saute till they soft, followed by ginger garlic. Next add the tomato puree and mix well. Add 1/2 teaspoon each of garam masala powder, red chili powder,salt and coriander powder. Saute till fat releases from the sides.
Add sauteed gobi and blanched green peas. Simmer gently for 2-3 minutes. Finally you can add fresh cream and serve hot.
Top Tips To Make Gobi Matar
To make gobi matar use fresh and tender green peas as it does not require prior cooking.
I just blanched the shelled green peas for 3-4 minutes and use it in the recipe.
Furthermore you can also blanch the cauliflower briefly with some salt and turmeric. I do this with all gobi recipes to ensure there are no impurities.
More Recipes You Might Like
How To Make Gobi Matar Recipe (step by step).
1. Blanch green peas and cauliflower for 3-4 minutes first. Drain and set aside.
2. heat oil in a thick cast iron pan. Temper with cumin seeds.
3. Add blanched green peas and saute for few seconds.
4. Next add the blanched cauliflower florets. Saute for a minute.
5. Season with salt and spice powders. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
6. Now cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes in medium flame.
7. To make slightly crispy sabzi you can finally saute in open pan for 3-4 minutes. Serve hot.
Gobi matar recipe card below:
Gobi Matar Recipe
- 2 cups cauliflower floters
- 1.5 cups green peas
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- Blanch green peas and cauliflower for 3-4 minutes first. Drain and set aside.
- heat oil in a thick cast iron pan. Temper with cumin seeds.
- Add blanched green peas and saute for few seconds.
- Next add the blanched cauliflower florets. Saute for a minute.
- Season with salt and spice powders. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes in medium flame.
- To make slightly crispy sabzi you can finally saute in open pan for 3-4 minutes. Serve hot.