Last updated on April 30th, 2020
Aloo matar recipe is a simple, nourishing and delicious Punjabi style side dish made with potatoes and green peas. This vegan and gluten free Punjabi aloo mutter masala recipe shared here is restaurant style one. You can serve this aloo mutter with roti, poori, jeera rice, ghee rice, coconut rice etc. Tastes very good with chunks of potatoes and slightly sweet green peas. Here is how to make restaurant style aloo matar masala recipe with step by step photos.
What Is Aloo Matar?
Aloo means potatoes and matar means green peas in India. The curry made with peas and potatoes is widely called as aloo mutter curry. This curry can be made dry or sookhi, gravy or as semi dry curry shown here. There are also other variations with this recipe like aloo mutter with paneer, aloo mutter in coconut milk etc.
Potato being a main stay and goes well with almost all veggies, we also make this aloo mutter just like aloo gobi, aloo paneer, aloo bhindi etc. Fresh mutter also goes very well with cauliflower in gobi matar and carrots in gajar mutter.
This Indian curry is moderately spiced, very flavorful and delicious with hearty chunks of potatoes. With very less prep work and cooking, this aloo mutter is a wonderful and versatile side dish.
This Aloo Matar Recipe Is
quick, easy and wholesome
vegan and gluten free
Can be made in a pressure cooker
goes well with all Indian breads and rice
So delicious, hearty and flavorful
How Is Aloo Mutter Made?
To make aloo matar begin by boiling the peas and potatoes. Peel and break the potatoes into big chunks. Keep 1.5 cups tomato puree at ready.
Temper cumin seeds and slit green chilies in hot oil. Next fry some onions, followed by minced ginger and garlic. Once they are fried, add the tomato puree and saute well. Add spice powders and cook well.
Now add the cooked potatoes, peas and season with salt. Simmer aloo mutter for 6-7 minutes. Add required water to adjust the consistency. Finish off with generous dose of coriander leaves and lemon juice. Serve aloo matar hot 🙂
How To Make Aloo Matar In Cooker
For making aloo matar in pressure cooker the recipe remains the same. Just you need not cook the potatoes and peas before hand.
Make the tomato masala as mentioned in the recipe in a thick pressure cooker base. Add the peeled and cubed potatoes, shelled green peas and 1.5 cups water. Close and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Once the pressure is released simmer for 3-4 minutes and finish off with coriander leaves.
Preparation For Aloo Mutter Curry
1. Rinse, halve and boil the potatoes.
2. Peel and break the potatoes into big chunks.
3. Also shell and blanch 1 cup green peas in boiling water for 5 minutes
2. Puree 2 large tomatoes and keep at ready.
How To Make Aloo Matar Curry
1. Heat a thick pan with 2 tablespoons oil. temper with cumin seeds and slit green chili.
2. Add the chopped onions and saute well. Next add ginger garlic and saute.
3. Now add the tomato puree and mix well.
4. Add chili powder and turmeric powder. Saute well till the tomatoes are well cooked and turns mushy.
5 . Add the cooked peas and potatoes, mix well and season with salt.
6. Add required water to adjust consistency. Simmer aloo mutter for 5-6 minutes.
7. Add cilantro leaves and lemon juice.
8. Mix well and serve aloo mutter hot.
Recipe Notes, Tips and Variations
1. Make sure to break the boiled potatoes into big chunks. This will give nice texture and bite to the aloo matar curry.
2. Instead of tomato puree you can use finely chopped tomatoes
3. The recipe can be doubled.
More side Dish Recipes You Might Like
I hope you will try this aloo mutter recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Aloo Matar Recipe
Aloo Matar Masala Recipe
- 200 grams potatoes
- 100 grams peas
- 2 big tomatoes pureed
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 green chilies slit
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger-garlic or ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
Preparation For Aloo Matar
- boil, peel and break the potatoes into big chunks. Also boiled shelled green peas.
- Puree 2 large tomatoes and keep at ready.
Making Aloo Matar
- Heat a thick pan with 2 tablespoons oil. temper with cumin seeds and slit green chili.
- Add the chopped onions and saute well. Next add ginger garlic and saute
- Now add the tomato puree and mix well. Add chili powder and turmeric powder. Saute well till the tomatoes are well cooked and turns mushy.
- Add the cooked peas and potatoes, mix well and season with salt.
- Add required water to adjust consistency. Simmer aloo mutter for 5-6 minutes. Add cilantro leaves and lemon juice. Mix well and serve aloo matar hot.
- Do not mash the potatoes for this curry. Peel and break into large chunks.
- You can add more water and simmer for aloo matar gravy
- You can double the recipe of aloo mutter