Last updated on June 17th, 2019
Khichdi recipe with step by step photos. Smooth, tasty and mild moong dal khichdi recipe in pressure cooker made easily. khichri is a healthy protein packed dish from south Asia. Khichdi is a healthy and hearty one pot meal suitable even for babies (mostly their first weaning food), people recovering from illness as it is very mild and light on tummy.
There are different versions of khichdi recipe across India. Khichdi is the combination of raw rice and moong dal or or toor dal or pancharatna dal. In south India ven pongal is made with rice and moong dal and it is also a very dish for growing toddlers and kids. Khichdi recipe can be made with any type of lentil. Moong dal is often preferred as it is easily digestible, cooks faster and easily available too. Moong dal is a wonderful lentil packed with nutrition. It is one of the vegetarian super foods. Its benefits are often emphasized in ancient Ayurvedic medicine. Some ayurvedic befits of moong dal are
- It cleans and strengthens the gut. So very good for people recovering from stomatch upset or general illness
- Moong dal khichdi eaten with curd cleanses the intestine and helps in calming.
- moong dal balances the dosha (vatha, pitha, kapa). So moong dal khichdi is a tridoshic food helps in soothing the body.
- Plain mung is also a part of detox diet. (source)
To make khichdi recipe I always use 1: 1/2 proportion of rice and moong dal. You can even use equal amount of rice and dal. Here in this dal khichdi recipe I have used onions for flavor. If you want to make a no onion garlic khichdi recipe, just leave out onions. The other spices and ingredients in khichdi recipe are pantry staples. Khichdi is usually made mushy and smooth so that it can be easily digested. However you can add more or less water to get preferred texture. Same way you can use toor dal or comonation of moong and toor dal in khichdi recipe. Brown rice, basmati rice can also be used in this recipe.
Khichdi is usually served with some pickle, papad and curd. if you want a light diet serve with a drizzle of ghee and plain curd. You can also add vegetables, preferred spices and make a spicy lunch with this recipe.
How to make moong dal khichdi recipe with step by step photos.
Heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a pressure cooker.
Temper with cumin seeds, curry leaves. Add ginger and slit green chilies. Saute well.
Add chopped onions and saute well until they turn soft.
Add turmeric powder and mix well.
Add rinsed rice and dal. Mix well.
Add water and salt. Mix and pressure cook for 4-6 whistles
Once the pressure is released, mix and serve khichdi hot with more ghee if required.
Moong dal khichdi recipe card below:
Khichdi recipe, how to make moong dal khichdi recipe | Dal khichdi recipe
- 1 cup raw rice
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 small tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2-3 green chilies reduce for mild flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon finely crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 4 cups water
- Heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Temper with cumin seeds, curry leaves. Add ginger and slit green chilies. Saute well.
- Add chopped onions and saute well until they turn soft. Add chopped tomatoes saute till mushy.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add rinsed rice and dal. Mix well
- Add water and salt. Mix and pressure cook for 4-6 whisltes
- Once the pressure is released, mix and serve hot with more ghee if required.
2.You can use a combination of toor and moong dal.