Last updated on July 23rd, 2019
Mango sago recipe with video and step by step photos. Sharing an easy recipe for mango sago pudding, a dessert popular in south Asian countries like Singapore, Hong kong and Thailand. A delicious summer treat with ripe mangoes and condensed milk that is just perfect for your next party!
What’s Mango Sago?
Mango sago is a traditional dessert pudding from south Asian cuisine. This is a tropical delight with fresh ripe mangoes and sago pearls.
There are so many variations with basic mango sago recipe. Here I am sharing with you all the easiest one you can make with minimum cooking. This recipe uses store bought sweetened condensed milk and fresh mango puree. You can also easily use tinned mango pulp for mango sago pudding.
This mango sago is a wonderfully delicious and flavorful mango dessert with soft and light texture. Cooked sago pearls compliments the smooth mango puree very well. You can increase or decrease the proportion of sago pearls as per preference.
For making easy mango sago we need
Mango Puree- I prefer to use fresh alphonso mango puree for this dessert, If fresh mangoes are not available you can use tinned mango puree
Sago Pearls- Sago or tapioca pearls is the main ingredient for this pudding. Use good quality fine sago.
Milk- I have used a combination of sweetened condensed milk so I have left out sugar
Toasted nuts- Chopped toasted almonds and pistachios for serving.
How To Make Mango Sago Pudding Step By Step
1. First of all rinse and soak sago pearls in water for 3-6 hours.
2. Bring plenty of water to rolling boil. Add the soaked and drained sago pearls.
3. Cook in medium flame for 10-12 minutes until the sago pearls are well cooked and transparent.
4. In the mean time puree 1 big ripe sweet mango with 1/2 cup condensed milk and 1/4 cup boiled and cooled milk.
5. Now once the sago are cooked, drain under cold running water thoroughly.
6. Take the cooked sago in a mixing bowl. Add the mango puree and mix well. Chill for 2-3 hours before serving. Serve topped with more mango pieces and roasted nuts.
You can store this pudding in refrigerator for 2 days.
This pudding can be prepared in many ways. Below I am listing some variations you can try with this recipe.
Variations With This Recipe
- You can make this mango pudding all vegan with tropical hint. Just use coconut cream and coconut milk along with sugar to taste instead of condensed milk and regular diary milk.
- Instead of using condensed milk you can reduce whole milk by simmering it with sugar for around 45 minutes. You can also add some corn starch or custard powder to make a thick sauce.
- Also you can evaporated milk and sugar in this recipe.
- While I prefer fresh and ripe mangoes in this recipe, it will also work well with tinned mango puree.
- Furthermore you can add some fresh cream for a creamy texture
- Finally as in any mango recipe use ripe mangoes that are less fibrous.
I have used regular sized sago pearls for making mango sago recipe. Also I used alphonso mangoes as they lend a vibrant color to the dessert. However you can use any type of sweet ripe mangoes.
Serve mango sago pudding chilled as dessert. I suggest you make ahead and keep refrigerated for 2 hours at least.
More Mango Recipes:
Mango Sago Recipe
Mango Sago Pudding Recipe (With Condensed Milk)
For cooking sago pearls
- 1/4 cup tapioca pearls OR sago
- water for soaking and cooking
For making sweet mango puree
- 1 Mango big, ripe and sweet
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup whole milk boiled and cooled
For serving mango sago pudding
- 1/2 cup finely chopped ripe mangoes
- 3 tablespoons roasted pistachios
- First of all rinse and soak sago pearls in water for 3-6 hours
- Bring plenty of water to rolling boil. Add the soaked and drained sago pearls.
- Cook in medium flame for 10-12 minutes until the sago pearls are well cooked and transparent.
- In the mean time puree 1 big ripe sweet mango with 1/2 cup condensed milk and 1/4 cup boiled and cooled milk.
- Now once the sago are cooked, drain under cold running water thoroughly.
- Take the cooked sago in a mixing bowl. Add the mango puree and mix well. Chill for 2-3 hours before serving. Serve topped with more mango pieces and roasted nuts.