Milagu rasam recipe or pepper rasam is a south Indian recipe that you can serve with rice. This pepper rasam also tastes very good as clear soup during winters or to treat cough and cold. Here is how to make milagu rasam recipe at home.
Rasam is a south Indian clear soup that we often serve as second course with rice . There are many varieties of this apart from standard paruppu rasam. You may like caulifower rasam, vetrilai rasam, jeera rasam, lemon rasam, mysore rasam.
Milagu rasam recipe or pepper rasam recipe is one of the most sought after comfort food during winters. A piping hot glass of rasam to slurp or a bowl of hot steamed rice mashed with ghee and good dose of pepper rasam is an ultimate bliss during winters.
Not only comforting and tasty, this rasam also has good medicinal values too. It is great for treating colds,throat pain etc. There are many variations in milagu rasam recipe and the one I am sharing today is Tambram recipe that we make in our home.
Pepper rasam tastes so delicious, soothing and warming especially during cold days. You can serve milagu rasam as clear soup or as main course with rice and veggie fry.
This Milagu Rasam Recipe Is
delicious, flavorful and soothing
pepper rasam is best remedy for cold and throat infection
easy and quick to make recipe
100 vegetarian recipe and use oil for vegan pepper rasam
to make gluten free milagu rasam just skip asafoetida
good home remedy for cough toddlers and kids
Pepper Rasam Ingredients
To make pepper rasam the main ingredient is black peppercorns or milagu. All the other ingredients are easily available in your pantry.
First you makea spice powder with peppercorns and toor dal. You can make the powder and store for one week and make rasam when needed.
Other ingredients are tamarind, curry leaves, turmeric powder, mustard seeds, cumin seeds etc.
How To Make Milagu Rasam At Home?
To make milagu rasam first of all we will prepaPreview Changes (opens in a new tab)re the spice powder or instant rasam powder. Just dry roast peppercorns, cumin seeds and toor dal well and grind to a coarse powder. Quantities are mentioned in the recipe card.
Next soak tamarind in water and extract thin juice. Add curry leaves, prepared powder, salt to the tamarind water. Also add chopped tomatoes and asafortida. Cook in medium flame until the mixture begins to froth. Once it is about to boil, add the prepared tempering and mix well. Pepper rasam is ready to serve now.
Pepper Rasam With dal
If you want to tame down the spiciness of this rasam you can add some cooked toor dal. Just cook 2 tablespoons toor dal and mash it well. Add it to the pepper rasam along with other ingredients and mix well.
Milagu Rasam With Garlic
To add more flavor to this pepper rasam you can add 3-4 cloves of crushed garlic while making the spice powder.
How To Serve Milagu Rasam?
You can serve milagu rasam as main course with rice, ghee and any fry like potato fry, okra fry, raw banana fry. Also you can serve tis rasam as thin soup with fried vadams.
How To Make Pepper Rasam Recipe Step by Step
1. First we will prepare the spice powder needed for milagu rasam. Dry roast black peppercorns,cumin seeds and toor dal until nice aroma wafts out and pepper corns splutter. Take care not to burn anything. Allow to cool and grind to a fine powder.
2. To make pepper rasam, soak small lemon sized tamarind ball in 2 1/2 cup of water and extract the tamarind water.
3. Add curry leaves,asafoetida,chopped tomato,turmeric powder to the tamarind water and mix well.
4. Add salt,2 teaspoons of ground powder to the boiling rasam and cook for 10 more minutes.
5. Heat a small kadai and add ghee/oil. Temper with mustard seeds,curry leaves and 1/2 teaspoon ground powder.
6. Add the tempering to the milagu rasam along with ghee/oil and mix well. Simmer milagu rasam for 3- minutes.
7. Add the washed cilantro leaves, switch off the flame and close the lid immediately.
8. Serve pepper rasam hot with rice or as soup.
If you are looking for more rasam recipes do check
I hope you will try this pepper rasam recipe and enjoy as much as we did. P
Milagu Rasam Recipe
Milagu rasam recipe| Pepper rasam recipe
- To roast and grind:
- 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper corns
- 3 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 teaspoon toor dal
- For rasam
- 1 small lemon sized tamarind ball
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon ghee/oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 curry leaves
- Dry roast black peppercorns,cumin seeds and toor dal until nice aroma wafts out and pepper corns splutter. Take care not to burn anything. Allow to cool and grind to a fine powder.
- Soak small lemon sized tamarind ball in 2 1/2 cup of water and extract the tamarind water.
- Add curry leaves,asafoetida,chopped tomato,turmeric powder to the tamarind water and mix well.Bring to a boil.
- Add salt,2 teaspoons of ground powder to the boiling rasam and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Heat a small kadai and add ghee/oil. Temper with mustard seeds,curry leaves and 1/2 teaspoon ground powder.
- Add the tempering to the rasam along with ghee/oil and mix well. Simmer for 3- minutes.
- Add the washed cilantro leaves,switch off the flame and close the lid immediately. Serve pepper rasam hot with rice or as soup.
2. Toor dal is optional,if you want strong pepper corn taste,just use cumin and pepper corns