Last updated on June 9th, 2019
Poricha kuzhambu recipe with step by step photos. Poricha kuzhambu or poritha kuzhambu is a delicious Tamil Brahmin style lentil gravy and mixed veggies. Usually the word poritha is used in recipes where tamarind is not used. Poricha kootu is also a popular dish in tamil nadu.
Poricha kuzhambu is always made with loads of fresh mixed vegetables so it goes well with a simple raita. In few homes poricha kuzhambu is paired with tomato pickle or some sour side dish as tamarind is not used in the kuzhambu itself.
Making poricha kuzhambu is easy. The only task is chopping the vegetables. The coconut paste used in poricha kuzhambu varies from home to home. I add coconut, raw rice, cumin seeds in my recipe. Raw rice gives a nice flavor and thickness to the kuzhambu. I love this poricha kuzhambu personally as it is very different in taste and flavor and a welcome change to regular sambar or kuzhambu.
To make poricha kuzhambu recipe broad beans, eggplant, carrot, drumstick, potatoes, tomato can be used. Two or more vegetables are also sufficient. You can use toor dal or moong dal in this recipe. I also sometimes use both lentils together.
Serve poricha kuzhambu with steamed rice.
More kuzhambu recipes:
How to make poricha kuzhambu recipe with step by step photos.
1. Pressure cook salt until mushy. Steam or boil the vegetables and set aside. grind the to grind ingredients into a fine paste.
2. Heat a thick pan with oil. Once the oil is hot temper with mustard seeds and urad dal. Add curry leaves, red chilies and saute well.
3. After sauteing add the steamed vegetables and 2 cups water. Also add a pinch of turmeric powder and mix well.
Now add cooked dal and season with salt. Next add the ground paste and finally bring kuzhambu to a boil. Serve poricha kuzhambu hot.
Poricha kuzhambu recipe card below:
Poricha kuzhambu recipe, how to make mixed veg poritha kuzhambu recipe
- 1.5 cups mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup toor dal
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 2-3 dried red chilies
- Water to cook dal
To make coconut paste for poricha kuzhambu
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon raw rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pressure cook salt until mushy. Steam or boil the vegetables and set aside. grind the to grind ingredients into a fine paste.
- Heat a thick pan with oil. Once the oil is hot temper with mustard seeds and urad dal. Add curry leaves, red chilies and saute well.
- Add the steamed vegetables and 2 cups water. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add cooked dal and season with salt. Add the ground paste and bring kuzhambu to a boil. Serve poricha kuzhambu hot