Tomato curry recipe with step by step by photos. Sharing a typical restaurant style tomato kurma recipe with all spices and roasted gram and coconut paste.
You will know this is an absolute restaurant style tomato curry recipe while the curry is simmering. I have been getting requests for side dish recipes for dos and idlis. This tomato curry recipe is a very versatile one, you can serve this kurma with dosas, I served tomato kurma with neer dosa and it was so delicious. You can even serve this curry with rotis, idlis and idiyappam.
To make tomato curry recipe all you need are very basic and pantry staple ingredients. The curry is thickened with roasted gram and coconut paste,so you can easily make this curry for a crowd. Select good quality desi tomatoes for a slight tangy taste to balance the spices.
The spices used in this tomato curry
recipe are cloves, cinnamon, cardamom. You can even add a bay leaf, black cardamom and saunf if you like. You can serve this curry with rice or any tiffin variety.
Here is how to make easy tomato curry recipe for you all to try!
Tomato curry recipe with step by step photos.
1. Grind grated coconut, roasted gram and green chillies to a smooth paste.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a kadai. Add cumin seeds and temper.
3. Add cinnamon, green cardamom,cloves and saute well till they turn aromatic. Add fienly chopped onions and saute very well.
4. Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute well. Add salt and chilli powder. Saute well till the tomatoes turn mushy.
5. Add the ground paste and mix well.
6. Add 1.5 cups water and mix well. Simmer till the tomato curry thickens. Add cilantro leaves and remove from flame.
7. Serve tomato kurma with dos or roti or idli.
Tomato curry recipe card below:
- 3 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Grind to a smooth paste
- 3 tablespoons roasted gram dal
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2-3 green chillies
Grind grated coconut,roasted gram and green chillies to a smooth paste.
Heat a kadai with 2 teaspoons oil. temper with cumin seeds
Add whole spices and saute well
Add onions and saute well.
Add tomatoes and saute well.
Add salt, chilli powder and mix well.
Cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
Add ground paste and mix well.
Add 1.5 cups water and let the tomato curry thicken
Add cilantro leaves and serve tomato kurma hot.